The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accusump Install Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm not sure how common Accusump are on Mustangs but I figure someone here might know something. Is it good practice to use a check valve with an Accusump to push oil through the motor rather than back to the pump/oil cooler? I'm trying to plan out my Accusump install. I already have the oil cooler installed and the plan was to T into the return line. Should I have the check valve?

Capture.JPG

TX
Howdy!

I run an accusump have it plumbed just like your diagram. The check valve is required per the instructions I had installing mine.

One of the Phoenix mustangs back in the Grand Am days hit debris in the Daytona bus stop, cutting an oil line, it sprayed oil everywhere and it wasn't until the banking that the driver saw all the alarms. He shut the car off, coasted to the pits, and the engine never lost oil pressure thanks to the Accusump.
A very good investment IMO

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you pressurize the tank before you shut down, you can use it as a poor-man's pre-oiler as well next time you fire up.

Some good articles on Canton Racing Product's blog on Accusump installation, oil changes, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how common Accusump are on Mustangs but I figure someone here might know something. Is it good practice to use a check valve with an Accusump to push oil through the motor rather than back to the pump/oil cooler? I'm trying to plan out my Accusump install. I already have the oil cooler installed and the plan was to T into the return line. Should I have the check valve?

View attachment 64279
I had Accusump on my road racing Corvette. Problem I had was after track session I always had more oil in pan than when I started. You have to find right air pressure coid on Accusump so when engine is hot at idle after session when you shut it off idle oil pressure is able to refill Accusump. Alternative is too rev engine to get higher oil pressure to refill Accusump before shutting engine off.

TMO Supporting Vendors