The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Adding fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There has been some talk about fueling the Boss (any new Ford cap-less) with the special funnel. I was adding some pure gas to the Boss today from a regular gas can and thought it would work fine with a bit of modification. Sure enough it did, so the cap-less is nothing special just depends on the diameter of the filling tube.

Below are pics of a regular everyday gas can from any store, I just cut off the plastic tab and it worked fine. You do need to use the funnel for the last little bit in the can. I was looking at the five gallon racing cans the other day but not so sure I will need them now.

th_081761812_CIMG1261_122_587lo.jpgth_081765682_CIMG1262_122_135lo.jpg

Nice research there Scott. I'm glad someone has this figured out.

Gary
You using the VP type? I don't know if this tube will work. That is what I was looking at till I figured this out.

You would think they would engineer them to work on the capless tanks.

th_151748387_gas_122_441lo.jpgth_151749694_gas1_122_681lo.jpg

BTW, did you find a station with pure gas yet or are you running racing fuel? If you have tried the pure gas would like to know what you think.

https://www.dynotabdirect.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gascan5.jpg

I just have your basic plastic cans with a release. I use the plastic funnel from the flat repair kit in the trunk to engage the capless fill release.

The pure gas station actually has 91 not the 93 listed on that site. I took 93 E10 with me to the track and filled up my gas cans for Sunday at a local station that had 92 pure gas. I can't say I noticed a difference with either fuel.

cloud9 said:
The pure gas station actually has 91 not the 93 listed on that site. I took 93 E10 with me to the track and filled up my gas cans for Sunday at a local station that had 92 pure gas. I can't say I noticed a difference with either fuel.

You are lucky, I can only get 90 here. It may be in my head but I felt a tad better throttle response. I have been toying with the idea of octane booster, I need to research it a bit more to find out the good and bad. I normally never add anything that does not belong, gas2tank, oil2motor, coolant2radator, nothing like stop leak or stop smoke etc. I need to find out if there is anything that really works.

cloud9 said:
https://www.dynotabdirect.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gascan5.jpg

I just have your basic plastic cans with a release. I use the plastic funnel from the flat repair kit in the trunk to engage the capless fill release.

With that can if you modify the funnel like I showed you do not need to use the the little white funnel that came with the car, at least if it has the same type as I showed in the picture.

Garage sale, lol. It is the standard gas can you can get at any Walmart or other store. The two funnels in the first pic are the same with the tab cut off of one. One has the ring around it so that is maybe why they look different but they are the same. The second pic is the style of gas can same as the pic you posted. I have four, two 2 1/2 and two 5 gallon cans all have the same funnel. I know some have flexible type funnels so just look for the hard plastic type.

I sure you can find them but if not I will measure the diameter for you.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel