The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Adding steering stiffness control knob w/ EPAS steering rack.

Andrew Weidemann

TMO Intermediate
I am in the middle of a road race coyote swap build and am looking for input regarding the EPAS swap on 05-10 Mustang. I am planning to run a Ford Performance Boss 302R rack with the Cortex EPAS stimulator module. I am looking for feedback regarding the swap process and if anyone has found a way to add a steering stiffness control knob. I am eventually looking to do endurance racing and would like the option of dialing back the steering stiffness as hours go on. I don't know if this is a waste of time or needed but the thought crossed my mind and am wondering if anyone else has too.

bob

TMO Advanced
sfo
I wish we could find out more about EPA's over other models too (S550). What I want is to change the the number of degrees the wheels steer vs the number of degrees I turn the wheel. If the steering is electronic can't we electronic hotrod the steering vs using a manual steering quickener like you would on a manual rack and pinion?

Andrew Weidemann

TMO Intermediate
I wish we could find out more about EPA's over other models too (S550). What I want is to change the the number of degrees the wheels steer vs the number of degrees I turn the wheel. If the steering is electronic can't we electronic hotrod the steering vs using a manual steering quickener like you would on a manual rack and pinion?
Unfortunately the steering ratio can not be changed. Epas stands for “electronic power assist steering”. There is a steering shaft that connects the steering wheel directly to the steering gear. The electric motor in the steering rack is energized when the steering angle sensor detects steering input via the steering wheel and applies force (assist) to the rack and pinion inside the steering rack. I was trying to figure out a way to electrically control the level of assistance with a selector knob. An easy way to indirectly increase steering ratio is by changing to a smaller steering wheel. The rack still has the same steering ratio but your hands don’t move as far since the circumference if the wheel is smaller which allows for quicker steering inputs.

race4food

TMO Intermediate
Since we are on this. I'm getting ready to put one in my 05. I have the option of the 19" and 20" wheel size calibration. I run 18" wheels. Any idea which would allow for better feel like the Boss 302S rack? I'm guessing the calibration of tiresize is related to the weight of the wheel and width to allow for more or less assistance.

Andrew Weidemann

TMO Intermediate
Since we are on this. I'm getting ready to put one in my 05. I have the option of the 19" and 20" wheel size calibration. I run 18" wheels. Any idea which would allow for better feel like the Boss 302S rack? I'm guessing the calibration of tiresize is related to the weight of the wheel and width to allow for more or less assistance.
I don’t think there are different calibrations? I could be wrong but I only found the one part number for the ford performance rack. M-3200-EPAS. I think they changed the casting a little bit around the steering shaft area. And the steering stops are different to accommodate the 18x10.5 wheels. I don’t think the wheel diameter matters.

Andrew Weidemann

TMO Intermediate
I'm doing a road race Coyote swapped 2006 with a FR500 hydraulic rack.
I used the 2006 pump and a blowfish mounting plate which is very clean and light.
Interested to see if anyone here is able to make the EPAS work well with the earlier platform.
Best of luck everybody!
I’d be curious how much different the FR500 hydraulic rack feels to the stock 05-10 rack.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel