The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Adding steering stiffness control knob w/ EPAS steering rack.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in the middle of a road race coyote swap build and am looking for input regarding the EPAS swap on 05-10 Mustang. I am planning to run a Ford Performance Boss 302R rack with the Cortex EPAS stimulator module. I am looking for feedback regarding the swap process and if anyone has found a way to add a steering stiffness control knob. I am eventually looking to do endurance racing and would like the option of dialing back the steering stiffness as hours go on. I don't know if this is a waste of time or needed but the thought crossed my mind and am wondering if anyone else has too.

sfo
I wish we could find out more about EPA's over other models too (S550). What I want is to change the the number of degrees the wheels steer vs the number of degrees I turn the wheel. If the steering is electronic can't we electronic hotrod the steering vs using a manual steering quickener like you would on a manual rack and pinion?

I wish we could find out more about EPA's over other models too (S550). What I want is to change the the number of degrees the wheels steer vs the number of degrees I turn the wheel. If the steering is electronic can't we electronic hotrod the steering vs using a manual steering quickener like you would on a manual rack and pinion?
Unfortunately the steering ratio can not be changed. Epas stands for “electronic power assist steering”. There is a steering shaft that connects the steering wheel directly to the steering gear. The electric motor in the steering rack is energized when the steering angle sensor detects steering input via the steering wheel and applies force (assist) to the rack and pinion inside the steering rack. I was trying to figure out a way to electrically control the level of assistance with a selector knob. An easy way to indirectly increase steering ratio is by changing to a smaller steering wheel. The rack still has the same steering ratio but your hands don’t move as far since the circumference if the wheel is smaller which allows for quicker steering inputs.

Since we are on this. I'm getting ready to put one in my 05. I have the option of the 19" and 20" wheel size calibration. I run 18" wheels. Any idea which would allow for better feel like the Boss 302S rack? I'm guessing the calibration of tiresize is related to the weight of the wheel and width to allow for more or less assistance.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm doing a road race Coyote swapped 2006 with a FR500 hydraulic rack.
I used the 2006 pump and a blowfish mounting plate which is very clean and light.
Interested to see if anyone here is able to make the EPAS work well with the earlier platform.
Best of luck everybody!

Since we are on this. I'm getting ready to put one in my 05. I have the option of the 19" and 20" wheel size calibration. I run 18" wheels. Any idea which would allow for better feel like the Boss 302S rack? I'm guessing the calibration of tiresize is related to the weight of the wheel and width to allow for more or less assistance.
I don’t think there are different calibrations? I could be wrong but I only found the one part number for the ford performance rack. M-3200-EPAS. I think they changed the casting a little bit around the steering shaft area. And the steering stops are different to accommodate the 18x10.5 wheels. I don’t think the wheel diameter matters.

I'm doing a road race Coyote swapped 2006 with a FR500 hydraulic rack.
I used the 2006 pump and a blowfish mounting plate which is very clean and light.
Interested to see if anyone here is able to make the EPAS work well with the earlier platform.
Best of luck everybody!
I’d be curious how much different the FR500 hydraulic rack feels to the stock 05-10 rack.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I’d be curious how much different the FR500 hydraulic rack feels to the stock 05-10 rack.
Supposed to have more feel to it, like the Boss 302 hydraulic racks.
I'll know soon enough.

Supposed to have more feel to it, like the Boss 302 hydraulic racks.
I'll know soon enough.
next year when we take our laguna seca trip you'll have to drive mine and see which one you like better. I've read the 302R rack is worlds better than the stock GT unit but you're absolutely right its no hydraulic setup

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
next year when we take our laguna seca trip you'll have to drive mine and see which one you like better. I've read the 302R rack is worlds better than the stock GT unit but you're absolutely right its no hydraulic setup
Its the same ratio as stock but more feel. Hell, anything is going to be better than what I had, my blower setup had an overdrive crank pulley so the P/S pump was spinning much faster than stock.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My son has a 2015 50th anniversary PP GT and the car is awesome. Motor makes plenty of power and it handles great, much better than our stick axle cars. The EPAS rack seems fine, you can't even tell. I know there have been programming issues and some people have weird problems but when they work they are fine. I am curious why Filip discouraged me from using one. I would have bought the stuff from him so it cost him money to say that. I assume he knows something that I don't.

TMO Supporting Vendors