The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Adjustable Sway Bars, '14 GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Hey. New around here, but have found this to be a great resource so far. I just picked up a '14 GT that I intend to use primarily for track days and the occasional Weekend cruise.

Of course the list of things I need to do is long, but right off I'm going add a Barton shifter and I'd like to have adjustable Sway Bars. Can anyone recommend some particular brands or sources to shop and research them? I see a few options online, but haven't been able to discern what the key differences are between them.

The car has some inexpensive adjustable coil overs on it (Pedders PN393836) and the Whiteline Watts link. While I know adjustable ARBs may not be necessary. I think it would be fun to tinker with and let me make some simple adjustments to balance before I get into trying to really dial in the springs and dampers.

I have 0:00 track time in this car or any Mustang. So feel free to offer any unsolicited advice.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jim

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have a BMR ajustable front bar... and a 18mm rear bar, if any at all. But the Ford Front bar would be a good way to go as well. Your tire size front and rear will have a big impact on what the bar setting will be, as will type of tracks (Time trails or open track etc)

Best thing to do is drive the car and see what you like and don't like about it!! Then plan out where you want to take the car. Most of us just evolve the car slowly, which ends up being more expensive in the end! But they say half the fun is the journey.....

Like Chris stated I'd go drive it first and see what it needs from there.

Welcome to TMO!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
@JrFish, if you haven’t ordered the Barton shifter yet, let me know - I’ll be swapping my MT82 for a Magnum XL in the next couple weeks. Barely used Barton short throw and the Blowfish bracket that I’ll be selling. Whiteline transmission bushing as well. PM me if you’re interested.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I drove a 2013 mustang for a year without a single mod, just 19x9 wheels on summer tires. I put koni struts and shocks in only for the rear to be too stiff and put factory back. I still run koni front/factory rear.

It wasnt until my 3rd year on track I put strano adjustable bars, a watts link, and a lighter K member in the car. Lap time gains arent as substantial as good tires, and good tires aren't as substantial as driving ability.

When I have fresh tires though, my sway bar preference is full stiff on both ends. As the tires age, lose grip, and heat cycle, I find myself moving the rear to medium to restore balance.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Thanks for all the input guys. I've since found several other forums & blogs, some vendors I wasn't aware of, and enough posts and info to keep me reading indefinitely.

Sorry for my delay, just trying to get this new hobby project of mine rolling. Got a line on a 2-post lift and trying to get that lined out, get some workspace organized. Anyhow, I'll probably put the Whiteline Adjusables on it at some point but 1st thing I have to decide and do is make a decision on wheels and tires and that will obviously dictate what I want to do and can do.

Wasn't there a really good sticky on TMO somewhere listing rim and tire sizes and the specific brake kits that fit. I see the one on Apex's site, but could swear I was looking at different more comprehensive one somewhere....so many threads and info. Brain hurty.
Thx!!!

No, it is not available by itself. I suspect it is a re-packaged Eibach bar, which is sold individually.

Thanks. I’m currently running a whiteline bar on my 05 and going to purchase a 18mm rear bar. I keep hearing that the ford/eibach bar is the ticket. Not sure if it’s worth pulling my whiteline bar and selling it in favor for the ford bar.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tons of advice from various sources and different Forums , yet the best advice so far is save your bucks and go run the car the way it is --- seat time and track instruction is the best and first mod you should make.

You will find this is the best Forum for concrete track advice as it is the basis for it being, and you have a bunch of actual track rats commenting on here on a daily basis.

Bill and the others are right. Save your money and run the car as is and then think about changes to improve or correct any issues.

Don’t pick a sway bar based simply on brand or because it worked on someone else’s car. The bars have different rates. What’s right for one car is wrong for another. Grant has a good thread with bar rates on the board. Figure out what your car needs in terms of balance and then pick a bar with a rate that will help.

TMO Supporting Vendors