The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Adjustable vs Standard Length LCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a new owner, I've spent hours reading just about every section of this forum and have a pretty solid understanding of my car now. But I could not find an answer to my question: Do I need an adjustable LCA (with a bracket of course) on my Sportline-lowered Boss to get my geometry back to specs? I saw in another forum where it was mentioned that the axle is pulled forward with an adj bracket and it is necessary to lengthen the LCA to get the wheel centered in the well again. But most I read just go with fixed length arms even with lowering springs. So before I purchase I want to make sure I get the right stuff. My car came with the Sportlines and adj PHB.

The only reason I could think of to have n adjustable lower control arm is to place the pinion angle back where it needs to be on a car with altered suspension height. I guess that could include centering the diff in the wheelwell, but that would have to be a serious lowering job to change that is perceptible to the naked eyeSometimes, with all these adjustments, guys adjust themselves right out of the ballpark. I would go back and formulate a maste rplan for your car and what you need to accomplish that, then go from there and work the plan.

My plan was to eventually get a one-piece DS and adjust the pinion angle with an adj UCA. The Sportlines lower the rear 2" and the stock LCA is higher on the axle end. I just want to get that back to parallel or slightly higher on the chassis side which should improve traction.....that would be my starting point. Shocks/struts are also down the road. If having adjustability with the LCA will help later I would spend that now but not if I will never need that feature. I checked Maximum Motorsports site and they recommend adj LCA's with spherical on both ends for their street set-up which also seems pretty radical but what do I know.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
There's no right or wrong on this subject, IMO.

Though I think it's up to the individual to choose what's best for their own use. It's my opinion that many don't end up doing that because they listened to other people with different uses.

If keeping the wheel centered or in the stock fore-aft position, then you can certainly use a stock length fixed arm with a bracket. That would keep the arm angle close to stock and leave the wheel in the same position fore-aft. Then as you suggest, the pinion angle can be corrected with an adjustable UCA.

My suggestion is to start with LCA brackets. BMR and Whiteline brackets will fit the stock arms and either are a good bang-for-the-buck rear suspension mods. Whiteline only has one adjustment position, and IIRC, BMR has 3.

I decided to just stick with basic and reliable and purchased the FRPP brackets and LCA's. I know others have gone that route and were satisfied. Plus the price is right. Thanks all.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
docs302 said:
I decided to just stick with basic and reliable and purchased the FRPP brackets and LCA's. I know others have gone that route and were satisfied. Plus the price is right. Thanks all.

Great choice. That's also a proven setup around here.

When I installed Ford Racings relocation brackets, they actually altered the alignment by changing the wheelbase diagonally, but being that I already had adjustable lca's, I was able to correct the alignment. I had never installed adjustable lca's on my prior mustangs before, but I am glad I did on the Boss. I use an adjustable uca to adjust pinion angle.

I am going to measure the gap around the rear tire after the FRPP arms are installed. If there is a change I am going to order adjustable arms like I had planned. It just seems many have the FRPP set-up and have no complaints. Guess I will find out shortly.

BMRTech

Supporting Vendor
It is always a very good idea to purchase and install adjustable LCA, when using LCA Relocation Brackets.

No matter how good the design, and manufacturing of the brackets, there will always be a percentage of cars who need adjustment to properly align the car back to, or better than OEM.

For the designs that rely on the damper weight holes for alignment and strength, the OEM Damper holes are not "exact" on each and every S197.

For the designs that do not rely on those damper weight positions, the angle of the bracketry on the OEM housings are not always exactly the same on each and every S197.

Common changes that happen when you drop the LCA down with brackets are, thrust angle change and wheel base alteration.

I have seen these changes with every available RLCA Bracket. They are usually not severe, and can typically be resolved with some Bracket manipulation and Adjustable RLCA.

Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors