The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice on another mustang to play with...lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Hey guys, was thinkin about gettin somethin else
for the track and DD. You guys know that I have
11 Shelby with some work to it. Thinkin maybe
bout gettin a used gt(11-12)w/track to play with.
See some of you guys have multi stangs...any advice?

The 2011+ Mustang V6 is the best performance for the money you can get now " period"

As a DD:
1) comfortable car
2) decent fuel economy for its performance
3) with a set of blizzak ws70 tires you can do fairly well during snow months

As a HPDE car:
1) better F/R weight distribution than the GT, Boss and GT500
2) lighter weight
3) a whopping 305 HP is enough to haul ass and have plenty of fast but controllable fun
4) all the chassis and suspension upgrades available for GT, Boss and GT500 are also applicable to V6
5) cheaper to maintain and run and if you end up kissing the wall in a race track, you will feel less terrible to lose her compared to your 2011 Shelby or a Boss.
No, I am not a multimustang guy, but I have seriously considered getting a V6 in addition to my Boss when I move to a warmer state.
Most of the points mentioned above can apply to 2005-2010 Mustang GT too.

I wouldn't track the V6. The 113 mph speed limiter is a problem. I would only remove it after upgrading the driveshaft. Much better options out there, I imagine.

I would go with something a little different. I would get a different body style so you can have a car that looks and feels completely different from your shelby. Along with the Boss, I have 2 fox bodies. It's nice to hop in one of the fox bodies and get a different feel and driving experience.

LikeABauce302 said:
I would go with something a little different. I would get a different body style so you can have a car that looks and feels completely different from your shelby. Along with the Boss, I have 2 fox bodies. It's nice to hop in one of the fox bodies and get a different feel and driving experience.

For a DD and occasional track car get a WRX. I've had one. It is a hoot.

I have been searching for a mint 91-93 fox body GT for a while. No luck. All I found were modded and beat. Anyone have ideas or a source?

I like the 91-93 Fox bodies as well. Especially a 93 Cobra. The steering wheel reminds me of my all white 91 SHO.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
13Boss#3328 said:
As a HPDE car:
1) better F/R weight distribution than the GT, Boss and GT500
2) lighter weight
3) a whopping 305 HP is enough to haul ass and have plenty of fast but controllable fun
4) all the chassis and suspension upgrades available for GT, Boss and GT500 are also applicable to V6
5) cheaper to maintain and run and if you end up kissing the wall in a race track, you will feel less terrible to lose her compared to your 2011 Shelby or a Boss.

I'm planning on adding a '12 V6 for many of the same reasons...

further said:
I wouldn't track the V6. The 113 mph speed limiter is a problem. I would only remove it after upgrading the driveshaft. Much better options out there, I imagine.

Definitely plan to deal with that to make it a track car. Doesn't make sense to me that the V6 Performance Package cars didn't get those two items upgraded. It's got as much HP as an '05-10 GT which aren't as handicapped.

Back to the OP... GT would work well...but definitely get a '12 over the '11 for a slightly track-friendlier EPAS, and lower risk of TSB issues. Get a 'Brembo' car if you want the same brakes as your GT500. Track Pack cars are available in '13-'14 and would be a better starting point if your budget allows.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have tracked our 2013 V-6 perf pack Mustang.

It does need a few improvements.

Drive shaft
Tune with engine braking and elimination of speed limiter
A taller gear, 3:31 is not enough to pull out of the corners.
Brake improvements

Just to name a few.

+1 on the Fox body with full Griggs and a 351 Cleveland engine swap.

I have a 14 STI, also an excellent choice. You will always see several at every track event. It's track ready.

Rather than the V6, why not go for a 2011 5.0 with some miles? I'd love to to strip one down to the bone and drive the heck out of it.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Thanks for the replys. Someone mentioned bout the v6 on the forum
in the past but wouldn't like not havin the power. I love this body style
so really wanted to stay with it. I drive to the tracks and next year
gonna do more than Watkins/lime rock. Didn't really want to put all that
traveling miles on my car. Would love to get a Boss but out of the budget
so prob like couple of you guys said start lookin at the newer gt's.
See a lot guys have gt's but I'll mention DMichaels car(saw his vids on YouTube)
Looks really nice and he drives it awesome!
Thanks again for the advice and options Rob

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
NFSBOSS said:
I like the 91-93 Fox bodies as well. Especially a 93 Cobra. The steering wheel reminds me of my all white 91 SHO.

Same here, as my intro,I've owned a 86 gt/92 notch/ and I sold my
93 cobra for my Shelby. All great cars I recently tracked down my 93
The original guy sold it due to a divorce(ouch), and the new owner didn't
want to sell. Think if I got her back,would have been fun to track her

You can get a 2005+ GT, too. Same power as the current V6 but you have the 3-link suspension we still have today and they can be found for cheaper since the coyote came out. I think there are only minor differences in the suspension.

OR what I wanted to do before the reality of my small driveway kicked in: an SVO. But they are definitely not cheap nowadays for one in good shape. The other consideration I still have is a Miata I can hide at my brothers house :)

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
further said:
+1 on the Fox body with full Griggs and a 351 Cleveland engine swap.

I have a 14 STI, also an excellent choice. You will always see several at every track event. It's track ready.

Rather than the V6, why not go for a 2011 5.0 with some miles? I'd love to to strip one down to the bone and drive the heck out of it.

That's really what I wanted to do! Get kind of a newer year
and drive her all over the place and tear it up ... Lol

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Grant 302 said:
I'm planning on adding a '12 V6 for many of the same reasons...

Definitely plan to deal with that to make it a track car. Doesn't make sense to me that the V6 Performance Package cars didn't get those two items upgraded. It's got as much HP as an '05-10 GT which aren't as handicapped.

Back to the OP... GT would work well...but definitely get a '12 over the '11 for a slightly track-friendlier EPAS, and lower risk of TSB issues. Get a 'Brembo' car if you want the same brakes as your GT500. Track Pack cars are available in '13-'14 and would be a better starting point if your budget allows.

Thanks Grant, looked at a couple 12s, with a couple mikes
on them. Buddy told me about the 13-14s, with all the Boss's
goodies (but I know it not a Boss) for a few bucks more
would like you said be a better option

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I picked up a 91lx 5.0 stock sans exhaust for 4k I follow many mustang groups on Facebook and see good deals on fox bodies weekly. I would search there and keep an eye on it cause they sell fast. I really like the xl easy to work on and tons of aftermarket parts. I hardly drive the boss anymore. Think about selling the boss about once a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a Scion/Subaru FRS/BRZ? My buddy has the BRZ and its a blast to drive and he DD's it and uses it as his track toy. All he did was a few suspension upgrades, brake pads and tires.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Justin said:
I picked up a 91lx 5.0 stock sans exhaust for 4k I follow many mustang groups on Facebook and see good deals on fox bodies weekly. I would search there and keep an eye on it cause they sell fast. I really like the xl easy to work on and tons of aftermarket parts. I hardly drive the boss anymore. Think about selling the boss about once a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, ya those foxbodies r nice. Less power
but lite! Good find.
(That selling your Boss comment might make a prob
with the boys... Lol)
Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel