The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice / Opinions Needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys -

I'm new to this forum and came over at the suggestion of a member over at the TheMustangSource.com as he mentioned this was the place to be if you track your car. I recently purchased a '13 base model GT with the track pack and Recaros as a 50/50 track/daily driver. This is my first Mustang, however I've run just about everything on a track at one time or another and have been on track both on both two wheels and four for about 20 years. I've run in such events as the One Lap of America, the Optima Challenge at SEMA and try to do about 10-15 track days per season if time and money permit.

So far I've run multiple days at Sonoma and mulitple at Laguna Sega to baseline the car with the only mods being stainless lines and high-temp fluid. However I'm finding it's time to upgrade some stuff as I generally run in the advanced group and am finding that in stock form, I'm just pushing this car too hard for my liking.

What I need advice on is a suspension, a wheel/tire and brake pad package that is more or less a "set it and forget it" type of deal as I'm not one to start adjusting everything for a specific track. Generally it's just show up, have fun and drive home.

I'd appreciate any advice/insight and look forward to contributing as much as I can.

Cheers - Mike

Mike glad you signed up. For the suspension reviewing this thread will be a good start.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

Bay Area
Mr Angry - Cheer up.

Track settings are like women. There isnt just a set up and leave it alone. You have to figure each track and setting out.

What works for me on a certain track might not work for you.

ArizonaGT - Yes, I am the Dude with that car, in fact its sitting in the garage parked next to the Mustang as I type this.

Byronj - Believe me, I understand that more than you know. I've been contemplating the Adjustable Handling Pack #M-FR3-MGTAA as I would like to stick primarily with Ford parts. I also have a line a set of rims from an '07 Parnelli Jones which will allow me to run 275's up front and 285's in the rear as one thing the track pack GT is missing is some substantial rubber.

Anyone else running the Adjustable Handling Pack and or have and opinions on a Boss or GT?

NFSBOSS - Thanks for the welcome and I will absolutely search that thread.

Mike for suspension the FR handling pack is a good place to start. The actual price is quite a bit less than list.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12427

I'm running Pagid pads and DBA 4000 T3 rotors on the track and street but my car is not a DD. The Pagid pads are surprisingly quiet on the street yet can take all you can dish out to them at the track. DOT 4 and the brake cooling kit are a must.

What do you want to do with tires? Do you want a separate set for the track or just one set?

That Charger is sweet looking.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Mike glad you signed up. For the suspension reviewing this thread will be a good start.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

LOL...already referred Mike to *that* thread on TMS!

Welcome, Mike...also glad you signed up here!

Tires are a good question and yes, I plan to get a separate set of rims, however I may go with 18's as the tire selection is much greater. I'd love to run the pilot super sports, but their pricey so I'm thinking possibly the Azenis RT‑615K or Hankook RS3's but need to a bit more research. I also agree on the upgrading the rotors and pads - a must. I've already done stainless lines fluid, but everything else need to go to the next level.

Believe it or not but that Charger is my former track car. It's been run on tracks all over the country and even in the One Lap of America - it's and old sled, but a solid performer. However it's now retired from track duty - thus the Mustang in the garage.

Welcome to the site, nice charger. I am an old Mopar fan. I have owned quite a few.

Lots of very knowledgeable, friendly racers here, I am sure they can answer all of your questions. You have but to ask.

Beautiful Charger!

My recommendation for tires is the RS-3 over the Falkens. The Hankook have a bit better grip and handle the heat of track sessions very well (for a street tire). They also seem a bit more quiet, if that matters.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
I have a set of 18" Enkei PF01's in my garage and I'm going to try the Hankook RS3's this Spring. If I was not driving my car to the track I'd run Nitto NT 555 II's and might end up there anyway for Sonoma and Thunderhill. I've got a set of PSS tires ready to mount for the street.

Please post a few photos of your Charger.

You'll like the RS3's. Scary grip up front.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
I haven't tried them yet. You didn't like them? I've read they are a lot better than the stock Pirellis so that would be an improvement.

I love them. They're great. I run 275's all around and the front grip is tight. They're durable too.

Bay Area
Byronj - Believe me, I understand that more than you know. I've been contemplating the Adjustable Handling Pack #M-FR3-MGTAA as I would like to stick primarily with Ford parts. I also have a line a set of rims from an '07 Parnelli Jones which will allow me to run 275's up front and 285's in the rear as one thing the track pack GT is missing is some substantial rubber.

Hey Mike- I have a fully adjustable ground control set up but I have yet to install it.After doing the track attack in the Boss I was so immpressed with the suspension that I decided to wait to install it. Then after I do Chuckwalla I will most likely install it and end up going through your dilemma. Good luck with your set up. Oh and by the way I hate you because of your Mopar. J/K.

The stock Pirelli's are just "OK" in my opinion, but they tend to get greasy after 4-5 hard laps. The RS3's may be the way to go. Although, I've got a bunch of friends currently down at NOLA testing out the new BFG Rival and thus far have heard nothing but great things.

NFSBOSS - what sizes and offsets are you running on those Enkei PF01' wheels and whats your sidewall profile?

Also, here a is quick video on my Charger and Daytona - it's just easier than posting pics.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/WUaN21qZZSw[/youtube]

I'm going to buy 265/40 and 285/35/18 tires. For a square setup tbey are a ailable in 275/35/18. The wheels are 38 offset 10.5 rears and I believe 35 9.5 fronts. You can now order 47 offset 10.5 rears which will tuck the tires in better. The 38's don't rub and that's all I care about. Lots of owners run them with no issues. If I was buying new wheels I'd buy the 47's.

TMO Supporting Vendors