The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AED loepy idle tune no cats video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Some of you have asked me how it sounds without the cats in. I just got them in today. here is a short video, revved to 2600 then 3600. its pretty loud if you wrap it to 6 so I didnt do it again for the sake of the neighbors
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wtcoQSzLE[/youtube]

Very nice 8) I know what you mean. I rapped mine out to 6k for my son when he came home for spring break and I'm not sure what was louder, the car or my wife taking me to task for waking the neighborhood :-\

That would be the reason im still using the stock muffler
Without cats and these long tubes the exhaust note is just right
And at 6k up to 8k its just plain sick

Justin

Here is a no pics quick how to for those of you wondering

Here is the cat deletes that I bought.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30580/10002/-1?parentProductId=1593009
they also make a stainless steel version for a little bit more money
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30581/10002/-1?parentProductId=1593009

I put the car on ramps to start. you can instead use a jack and jack stands I just prefer the ramps. to get the cats off you will need to remove the battery and battery tray. After that go under the car and disconnect the rear O2 sensors (up high on the side of the transmission). one nut on each cat can be accessed from the top with some extensions and a 15mm deep socket. These will be very tight. I shot them with PB blaster first and let it soak in for about 20 mins. it took a breaker bar for me to crack them loose. the remaining two will have to from the underside of the car using a box wrench. I use gear wrenches. you can gain more leverage by taking another box wrench over the open end and "hook" them together (I can send you a pic if you need me too).

Once those are off you should be able to pull them down so you can get to the back end of the cats where they are connected to the h-pipe. you will remove those with a 13mm box wrench again here I used a gear wrench. I then break those clamps off so they can be spun around to where you can tighten them with the exhaust up in place.

you will have to remove the rear O2 sensors from the cats. I use a O2 sensor socket for this (just go to a parts store and ask for one they will point on out for you and I think you can rent it if you want). Once they are out put them in the delete pipes. Now you can slip the deletes back in place. Just follow the Jegs instructions here and you will be good. Dont forget to connect the O2 sensors back in place. Once where you want them and they are tight reinstall the battery tray and battery.

Now start the car and do not touch the gas pedal. once started go under the car and carefully feel around for leaks. if no leaks let the car idle until the fans kick on. once this happens turn the AC on max for one min then back off. Then go drive it for 10 or so miles normally. This is to allow the computer to relearn the idle and correct the fuel and spark maps for the new pipes.

Justin said:
Now start the car and do not touch the gas pedal. once started go under the car and carefully feel around for leaks. if no leaks let the car idle until the fans kick on. once this happens turn the AC on max for one min then back off. Then go drive it for 10 or so miles normally. This is to allow the computer to relearn the idle and correct the fuel and spark maps for the new pipes.
Interesting. My car stumbles a little at idle occasionally but doesn't stall. Maybe I should do this procedure...never heard of it. If it got to the point where it was an issue I was going to contact Justin for a tune revision, but maybe this is all I need to do. It drives totally fine and the dyno runs showed it was making great power and right where we'd expect it to be.

Justin

cloud9 said:
Interesting. My car stumbles a little at idle occasionally but doesn't stall. Maybe I should do this procedure...never heard of it. If it got to the point where it was an issue I was going to contact Justin for a tune revision, but maybe this is all I need to do. It drives totally fine and the dyno runs showed it was making great power and right where we'd expect it to be.
its the first thing Shaun will tell his customers to do if it has idle problems. I think its called KAM clear procedure.

To do it you disconnect the battery let it sit for 20mins disconnected with the headlights in the on position and tap the brake pedal a few times. Then reconnect the battery and start the car. and do the above (works best if the car is stone cold when you start it back up and I wait to turn on the AC until the fan kicks on) then drive it normal for 10-12 miles. Also handy to clear the fuel tables and spark maps if you ran a bad tank of gas.

Justin said:
its the first thing Shaun will tell his customers to do if it has idle problems. I think its called KAM clear procedure.

To do it you disconnect the battery let it sit for 20mins disconnected with the headlights in the on position and tap the brake pedal a few times. Then reconnect the battery and start the car. and do the above (works best if the car is stone cold when you start it back up and I wait to turn on the AC until the fan kicks on) then drive it normal for 10-12 miles. Also handy to clear the fuel tables and spark maps if you ran a bad tank of gas.
Thanks I'll do it for kicks and see what happens. It's not bad enough that it bothers met yet, but will be interesting to see if this clears it. I was just going to drive it some more before worrying about it since I haven't had much chance to drive it yet. The biggest problem is waiting for it to come up to temp just idling when it so freaking cold out!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:

You can also do this much quicker by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for 15-20 seconds.

Car sounds mean, btw!

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
You can also do this much quicker by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for 15-20 seconds.

Car sounds mean, btw!
thanks I didnt know that.

Cant wait till tomorrow to drive to work so I can hear how it sounds. its raining today and the car is clean so I dont want to take it out if I dont have too.

Thanks for the update. Are you still using E85? I couldn't help but notice the smoke from your port side tail pipe. When you stepped on the pedal they both smoked. Was it cold out? Your car sounds great. The true noise level test will be for you to take your sweetheart for a ride, then turn on her favorite song and ask her a question. If you can't hear her, most likely the exhaust note is perfect. For the record, I love my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin

seca954 said:
Thanks for the update. Are you still using E85? I couldn't help but notice the smoke from your port side tail pipe. When you stepped on the pedal they both smoked. Was it cold out? Your car sounds great. The true noise level test will be for you to take your sweetheart for a ride, then turn on her favorite song and ask her a question. If you can't hear her, most likely the exhaust note is perfect. For the record, I love my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the moment I am running 93. Running that for now because I plan to leave the area to go to the drag strip and Getting E85 out of the hampton roads area isnt possible.

It was cold out when I was running it I think it was like 40.

The exhaust is really loud now above 3.5k and raspy. going to put the stock cat back on and see how it sounds then. probably will be selling the magnaflow comp cat back for a good price.

Justin said:
At the moment I am running 93. Running that for now because I plan to leave the area to go to the drag strip and Getting E85 out of the hampton roads area isnt possible.

It was cold out when I was running it I think it was like 40.

The exhaust is really loud now above 3.5k and raspy. going to put the stock cat back on and see how it sounds then. probably will be selling the magnaflow comp cat back for a good price.
I'm researching which tune I want to go with and came across this post. Few questions.... Did u end up putting the cats back on? Also, I think I've decided on an AED tune but I don't know if I should get it now or if I should wait to get a CAI. Or do I get the CAI first and wait on the tune? I can only swing one or the other this month.

BossLady82 said:
I'm researching which tune I want to go with and came across this post. Few questions.... Did u end up putting the cats back on? Also, I think I've decided on an AED tune but I don't know if I should get it now or if I should wait to get a CAI. Or do I get the CAI first and wait on the tune? I can only swing one or the other this month.
You should call Shaun at AED and ask him what he recommends.

Justin

BossLady82 said:
I am still running without the cats. I have come to rather love the sound now.

I would wait till you can afford both because you have to send him data logs for the CAI that you are currently running and its a process so I would only want to do that once.

TMO Supporting Vendors