The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AED Tunes: First Impression Drag Race Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just had the AED tunes installed (Performance/Lopey/Drag) along with Airaid Parnelli Jones CAI.

Now, I don't have a baseline dyno to compare before and after. And with the traffic tonight not many chances to really open up.

However, my first impression is WOW. There is a very noticeable increase in performance.

Lopey Idle Tune is like 4 X's better than TracKey Idle. The car shakes....
Customer Service from Shaun is extraordinary.

One Problem: Especially in the Lopey Idle tune the backfire from side exhausts has gone insane. I do have the Cat Deletes. With the TracKey, the bark and crackle was cool. But with the Lopey, its over the top. So, I'll probably look seriously at an X pipe.

I'll try to take it to the track tomorrow night and get some real results

UPDATE:

Friday Night Drags at Texas Motor Speedway. No lights/timers, etc. Cars are set up by class and I'm in Sportsman, which is 8 Cyl, NA, Drag Radials ok. Since no timers, there are no race slips; just race and win; losers go home (you can buy back in on first race only and only one time)

I'm running the AED Performance tune. I didn't use the Drag tune because I'm running the stock Pirelli's; Track is not prepped and first time with this tune so I want to get a feel for it.

Launched at 15-1800 RPM, no power shifting.

First Race: 2012 Camaro SS, 6 speed; Boss wins.
Second Race: 2005 CTS V (stock) Boss wins by a bunch
Third Race: 2011 GT 5.0 with Bama Tune Boss wins
Fourth Race in Quarter finals: 2014 GT 5.0, tuned, headers, new MT ET Street Radials. He beat me two weeks ago in Semi's. He was tuned (i wasn't) both of us oem tires; beat me by a nose. He added the MT's this week; He hooked up way better with the DR's and I just couldn't keep from some spinning. It was close; but it's a loss.

Impressions on AED tune? Definite difference in performance on the track; felt it pull much harder. In the past, when I got close to or probably right on the 7500, the rev limiter kicks in. Of course with tune it's raised up, so she just keeps pulliing like a freight train.

I've got to add DR's this week.

Re: AED Tunes: First Impression

That's great feedback for one of our vendors. I've been to their shop and both Shaun and Drew do quality work. See below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5167.msg78881#msg78881

Which cat deletes are you using and what other parameters were changed in the tune like rev limit?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I'll second the recommendation for AED, Shaun cooked me up a killer, safe road race tune for da bauce. Already sent me updated tunes based on my datalogging. Car feels great, I don't think I will miss TracKey.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Yeah my car actually picked up quite a bit of torque in the low end (and a decent gain across the entire rev range), even without cats.

Awesome tune and absolutely top notch customer service! Shaun and drew are great to work with and their attention to detail is just amazing. The power they can get out of the car is well worth it.

mcmmotorsports said:
Do they do remote, canned tunes or only Dyno tunes?

I told Shaun what my mods, if any, were. He emailed me a tune with a list of things to datalog. He wanted a third gear run at light throttle from 2000 rpm - 5000 rpm and a WOT run from 2000 rpm - redline in 4th gear. That last one would be a lot easier on a dyno. I asked Shaun if logging on the street, would 3rd gear be ok and he said yes.

I emailed him the first set of logs. He sent me a new tune. I did more logging and sent him the results. He then sent the final tune via email.

Keep in mind all this took place in the span of 3 days.

NFSBOSS said:
That's great feedback for one of our vendors. I've been to their shop and both Shaun and Drew do quality work. See below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5167.msg78881#msg78881

Which cat deletes are you using and what other parameters were changed in the tune like rev limit?

Jeg's Performance SS Cat Deletes.

The exhausts and the decel barks, etc. were at the limit on stock tune and TracKey. With the AED, it's really too loud. So, I'm looking to add X Pipe (JBA probably) and just forget the side pipes. I'm sure performance will be better and the sound not as crazy.

Not sure on other parameters. I had the guy who does all my installs handle the data logging. We ran into a problem with engine knock on the logs, so he had to drain what fuel in the tank and we tried Shell 93; still had a knock, but not as bad, so Shaun adjusted tune for the gas. I'm not sure what was changed. I can find out.

Boss949 said:
Jeg's Performance SS Cat Deletes.

The exhausts and the decel barks, etc. were at the limit on stock tune and TracKey. With the AED, it's really too loud. So, I'm looking to add X Pipe (JBA probably) and just forget the side pipes. I'm sure performance will be better and the sound not as crazy.

Not sure on other parameters. I had the guy who does all my installs handle the data logging. We ran into a problem with engine knock on the logs, so he had to drain what fuel in the tank and we tried Shell 93; still had a knock, but not as bad, so Shaun adjusted tune for the gas. I'm not sure what was changed. I can find out.
Thanks and nice update from the drag strip. If you want to try 1/2" exhaust discs I know where to get them. :)

NFSBOSS said:
Thanks and nice update from the drag strip. If you want to try 1/2" exhaust discs I know where to get them. :)

I might consider that. Before it would just bark, snarl, etc. Now, it's just an absolute loud Backfire, sounds like cannons.

You think the discs will cut down on that?

Boss949 said:
I might consider that. Before it would just bark, snarl, etc. Now, it's just an absolute loud Backfire, sounds like cannons.

You think the discs will cut down on that?
Yes. I recently had mine wide open from some back to back track days. My son has been bugging me to do it for some time so how could I say no. I tried it wide open when I first bought the car. It's fun being that loud at the track, and even around town a bit, but driving on the FWY and trying to talk on the phone was not easy with my crappy hearing. I put the stock discs in for Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago and then reinstalled my 7/8" discs after that. There's a lot less snap crackle pop with the smaller discs.

NFSBOSS said:
Yes. I recently had mine wide open from some back to back track days. My son has been bugging me to do it for some time so how could I say no. I tried it wide open when I first bought the car. It's fun being that loud at the track, and even around town a bit, but driving on the FWY and trying to talk on the phone was not easy with my crappy hearing. I put the stock discs in for Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago and then reinstalled my 7/8" discs after that. There's a lot less snap crackle pop with the smaller discs.

Well that would be a simple, less expensive first option. Also with the Lopey tune, it's really really loud (decel backfires).

1/2" ? think that's enough? send me info.

Boss949 said:
Well that would be a simple, less expensive first option. Also with the Lopey tune, it's really really loud (decel backfires).

1/2" ? think that's enough? send me info.
The 1/2" is the smallest I have and are quite a bit quieter than wide open. Try the stock discs if you have them. Ordering info is in my sig.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have AED tunes as well. I at one point had the Jegs cat deletes his lopey tune and magnaflow comp cat back. it was insanely loud like you say. I have since then put on American racing headers long tubes and their off road x-pipe that retains the side exhaust. And its is much much quieter and sounds just wicked out the side pipes its just the right amount of sound. I have the 3/4" discs in now.

I agree with you 100% that his tunes are great!!! I have had others and they werent so great. in fact the stock tunes felt about the same only difference was the throttle response. The steeda tune I had was really horrible the lopey tune would just stall and stall and stall and stall. The JLP tune sounded awesome but it too stalled and bucked around and just drove like total crap. I had the trackey prior to all those other tunes and I dont miss it at all really

When I get back next week I plan to take more video of my boss. I found on where I can adjust the mic volume on the replay hd camera I have so hopefully you guys can hear how awesome my car really sounds.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
The 1/2" is the smallest I have and are quite a bit quieter than wide open. Try the stock discs if you have them. Ordering info is in my sig.
This is the size disc I started with after my header install. I opened them up to 3/4" with a stepped drill bit to get them perfect.

Justin said:
I have AED tunes as well. I at one point had the Jegs cat deletes his lopey tune and magnaflow comp cat back. it was insanely loud like you say. I have since then put on American racing headers long tubes and their off road x-pipe that retains the side exhaust. And its is much much quieter and sounds just wicked out the side pipes its just the right amount of sound. I have the 3/4" discs in now.

I agree with you 100% that his tunes are great!!! I have had others and they werent so great. in fact the stock tunes felt about the same only difference was the throttle response. The steeda tune I had was really horrible the lopey tune would just stall and stall and stall and stall. The JLP tune sounded awesome but it too stalled and bucked around and just drove like total crap. I had the trackey prior to all those other tunes and I dont miss it at all really

When I get back next week I plan to take more video of my boss. I found on where I can adjust the mic volume on the replay hd camera I have so hopefully you guys can hear how awesome my car really sounds.

Justin, your car was the inspiration for going with Cat Deletes and Lopey. I'm probably going to add a Torque Arm Kit and the new version may require me to get rid of side exhaust and go with X pipe anyway. If not, then I've got to do something to quiet the sides. No discs in them now (I don't have original discs; but NFSBoss has some available ) It went from crackle, bark to flat out "Backfires" LOL

Justin

Boss949 said:
Justin, your car was the inspiration for going with Cat Deletes and Lopey. I'm probably going to add a Torque Arm Kit and the new version may require me to get rid of side exhaust and go with X pipe anyway. If not, then I've got to do something to quiet the sides. No discs in them now (I don't have original discs; but NFSBoss has some available ) It went from crackle, bark to flat out "Backfires" LOL
I still get the backfire pop always have with his tunes since I took off the cats. I can make it do it. Its when I lift from the throttle then shortly after gently get back on the throttle it will pop everytime. I havent wrote him an email about it as it doesnt really bother me but you should write him and let him know that is going on and he might be able to tune it out. I think it has to do with the side exhaust and not cats because it never did it before removing the cats.

TMO Supporting Vendors