The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AeroCatch vs Captive hood pins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to install hood pins for my CF Tiger Racing hood. Like the look of the flush AeroCatch pins but also noticed most track cars have something more similar to the Captive style I see on Watson's website. The AeroCatch require more careful and extensive hood cutting it appears. Anyone with experience installing/running these pins please advise. Thanks

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm going to install hood pins for my CF Tiger Racing hood. Like the look of the flush AeroCatch pins but also noticed most track cars have something more similar to the Captive style I see on Watson's website. The AeroCatch require more careful and extensive hood cutting it appears. Anyone with experience installing/running these pins please advise. Thanks
"Captive" hood pins...?

You mean like:

24799659_10155924668953535_8908654054542330163_o.jpg

While the aerocatch style locks are definitely more swoopy and sexy the pin style are simple, reliable and inexpensive.
Being an old timer I tend to go toward the traditional, but that's me.
In the end I think its as much of of a personal preference as anything, though I'm sure others can add to this.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Put the Aerotech ones on my CF Tiger Hood and it was definitely a preference for me, just couldn't have the silver clashing with that classy Carbon Fiber now could I? But, will have to agree the hood pins look " Fab " on Frankenstang!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman, I think Captive is a brand name but looks pretty much like what you have.

Certainly looks like a much simpler installation too. Wondering if I would need to get four pins or can I get by with just two??
Two is better than none and 4 is twice as good as two. Definitely an easier install.
Mine are not chrome, they are satin aluminum, but they also come in black.
Like I said, personal preference will prevail.

Aerocatch - Clean install look, very time consuming to drill correctly, install, line up and make function correctly. Measure 10 times and drill once, cause you only have one shot.
Other hood pins, Less time consuming and more room for misalignment.

I'd go with 4, its a big hood, and even with the louvers, it wants to lift.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I put Aerocatch pins in over the winter and it was a royal Pain in the Azz. Looks simple, is anything but....fortunately I just have the stock aluminum hood that has been cut open in 3 places already by an amateur (me) and looks like it so I wasn't too hung up on the aesthetics, which is good. Decals are made to take care of the kind of incidents that can happen when cutting with sharp tools at bad angles. ;)

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
As to using 2 or 4 pins... I'd suggest 4 for anything but steel hoods. Not sure about carbon fiber... how much flex will it have?
My '66 GT350 has non-captive. My FR500S has (4) captive.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I run the aerocatches on a fiberglass hood (just two of them) and have visited up to 152mph without issue (no signs of cracking or stress around the pins). I might add two more later, but for now I've had no issues and I like the low profile look, clean operation and security (my pins have a locking mechanism to go with my trust issues :) )

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Capn. D. I am with you !! I have two aerocatches on my CF hood and have been right at that 150+ range also, with no issues. I have the locking mechanism except they forgot to send me a key ----- never got one and I would have liked it for just that extra bit of security.

After much consideration I decided to go with a simple pin set up on the outer hood and I'll re-install the stock latch. The fact that I still have a full interior and I find it painful to make big holes in that pile of cash led me to be conservative. Plus, I can always do the Aerocatch latch in the same place if I decide to go full race and remove the interior.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I can understand why this was a tough call for you. I also like the simplicity of the Captive hood pins, but it looks like have to be welded in, or at least the WR spool does, so that adds installation cost/complexity for me since I don't have the skills/tools to weld.
I plan to add Race Louvers to my hood in the near future - for those with louvers/vents, would you say it is required/necessary to add hood pins/latches?
Thanks.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Just a guess, but I would expect a hood with louvers placed to effectively extract heated underhood air would be less needy of being pinned. As long as the hood structure wasn't compromised in the process.

Norm

You are right, after I put my louvers in the fluttering on the outside corners of the front of the hood went way down to practically nil. And more importantly the lap times went down too. So I put 2 more louvers in the sides of the hood, expecting more downforce and no fluttering now, if some is good, more has to be better?. I will find that out if we ever get out of jail, er, whatever the hell it is they're calling this lock down these days...

But I still added pins, had a bad experience once with a failed hood latch on a race car. It was ugly, very very ugly.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors