The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aeroforce Gauge Installation - Needed Sensors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Everyone: I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Thanks for all the great info throughout the site. Congratulations to those of you that have your cars. For those of you who are still waiting, try to be patient, it's worth the wait & agony! I was lucky and only had to wait 2 1/2 months ;D (will post pics shortly).

For my first project I'm planning to install an Aeroforce gauge but can't seem to find the info that I'm looking for. I would like the gauge to display the following but don't know if I need to install sensors:

Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Tran Oil Temp
Battery Voltage
Ignition advance / retard
Air / Fuel Ratio

If anyone has installed any of these sensors, tips on location or anything out of the ordinary that I may encounter will be greatly apperciated. Also, has anyone run into any problems switching out the stock air filter for a K&N?

Sorry for all the questions with my first post...I will certainly post everything I encounter during my project(s).

Thanks in adavance for any info.

Sean
KB 2012 Boss #1086

ArizonaGT said:
Paging Cloud9!

KBBOSS: As good old Arizona put it......Cloud9 has placed a gauge or two in his Boss and would be the best person to hit up questions. Or just wait and soon enough he and others will be happy to assist you where they can.

Congrats on your car and welcome to BMO!

ArizonaGT said:
Paging Cloud9!
LOLZ! OK, here's what I know. You do get ECT (water temp) and A/F for both banks. You need a sender for oil pressure and temp. The others I'd have to check since I'm not using them. The only one that I might be interested in is trans temp and I think I checked but doesn't have the sender. I'll look again though.

Hi Sean and welcome to BMO. The oil temp and pressure seem to be what everyone is looking for so we all look forward to you installing them. ;) Lethal Performance sells a sensor but I'm not sure if this is the correct one or not.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-boss-mustang-302-gauges-aeroforce-interceptor-gauges-c-10853_10912_10930/aeroforce-150psi-fuel-oil-pressure-sensor-kit-p-36210?zenid=7633563834361b9b9c633b3d120638dd

Congratulations on getting your Boss. Mine was built a couple of days before yours but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully next week.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm planning to order the guage and a few sensors shortly. I will let you know how it goes.

I had a potentialy huge problem with the car on my ride home tonight! I was about 10 minutes in to a 20 minute ride when the engine light came on. It stayed on for about 15 seconds then went off. I was driving normally (not beating on it at all) before the light came on. I continued to drive conservatively but the car felt down on power. When I got home I smelt something burning...opened the hood and their was no coolant in the resevior. I looked around and noticed the overflow hose had come off the radiator, causing all the collant to poor out. It's dark so I can't really look at anything closely, but I'm kinda worried that I may have damaged the motor. I'm going to have to wait to morning to really look at it, but was wondering what everyone else thought....should I be worried? I would think that the motor would have shut off if it got too hot but don't know if the car is equipped to shutdown before overheating to the extent that it would cause damage. Does anyone know if this should happen. I can't find anything online about it.

*****Everyone may want to check the clamp that holds the overflow hose on the radiator on your cars. Mine is extremely loose...when I put it back on it took very little pressure to pull it off again. I'm going to upgrade the clamp first thing tomorrow. *****

Well yours is the second one that's popped a coolant hose. This guy's line to the oil cooler popped off so a different spot. Could be your clamp is defective or just wasn't put on securely. Definitely take it back to the dealer though so they can report it to the Hot Line and get it logged.

Read through this thread and it should put your mind at ease if you can get past the OP's hysteria ;D
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/1-day-old-boss-302-blown-motor-494330/

The PCM will pull timing and shut down cylinders to protect your engine before you will do any damage, which is what it was doing when you say it felt down on power. That's a good thing, it's saving itself ;) Your motor will be fine, but you should pick up some coolant from the dealer and top it back up before driving it in, assuming you think that hose clamp is going to hold for the drive to them, otherwise have it picked up on flatbed with your free road side assistance.

Thanks Cloud...I'm feeling much better! Might actually get some sleep tonight.

I'm going to fill the coolant tomorrow and take it for a good ride, stopping to check the hose regulaly. I will contact the dealer on Monday (Tues if they're closed) and go from there.

Thanks again!

KBBOSS1086 said:

I'm going to fill the coolant tomorrow and take it for a good ride, stopping to check the hose regulaly. I will contact the dealer on Monday (Tues if they're closed) and go from there.

Thanks again!

Would be better to put off that ride if you can. I would add the coolant and take it to the dealer as soon as your can. First they can see if any damage occurred, which I doubt like Gary said but you never know. Second they can not say you did more damage driving it, again I doubt they would even go down that road but if it was me I would just wait a day for them. If you do need to use it the codes should stay in the system for a while so no worries there.

Explain to them that you have heard of this happening to other Boss 302's and make sure they let their regional rep know about it. If this is an issue with a clamp or something like that the reports will help others in the future. It does sound like the factory just did not install the hose correctly but they may put out a TSB and replace the clamps, you never know.

2012YellowBoss said:
KBBOSS1086 said:

Thanks again!

Would be better to put off that ride if you can. I would add the coolant and take it to the dealer as soon as your can. First they can see if any damage occurred, which I doubt like Gary said but you never know. Second they can not say you did more damage driving it, again I doubt they would even go down that road but if it was me I would just wait a day for them. If you do need to use it the codes should stay in the system for a while so no worries there.

Explain to them that you have heard of this happening to other Boss 302's and make sure they let their regional rep know about it. If this is an issue with a clamp or something like that the reports will help others in the future. It does sound like the factory just did not install the hose correctly but they may put out a TSB and replace the clamps, you never know.
You would think the dealer would have gave the car a good once over before they released it. I had to wait a good hour and a half before they even released to me. At least thats what I was told. I do know when I seen it in the shop the mechanic was under the hood snooping around. Even so, I think I'll be looking a little closer to whats what before my fun run today.I don't need a buzzkill at this point, I just want to enjoy ride.

*Update*

The car was checked over by the dealer. They ran a relative compression check and it came back good. It never fails though...they scanned for codes and didn't find any (no record of anyting happening). Nonetheless, I am confident that no damage was done.

on a side note, when I called my sales guy and told him there was a problem he he couldn't have cared less, transfered me to the service dept without saying anything. I called back and he said he was with a customer and would call me back...2 more calls by me in the next 2 days without a response. I have to say, it's pretty sad that i was disregarded by the sales department so quickly after writing them a check for over $46k 5 days earlier. I wander how much (if any) impact the negative survey i completed will have on the dealership.

To top it off I was talking with a car jockey when I arrived at the dealership...he said he loved the car and had a good time testing it when it originally arrived at the dealership. No wonder there were 16 miles on it when I picked it up. After instructing the sales manager to not allow any unneccesary driving prior to pickup. Sickening!

I just tried to order the aeroforce gauge from Lethal Performance but they didn't know what size sensors are needed for the oil pressure and temp. Once I get everything and get it installed I will post some info and pics.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I wander how much (if any) impact the negative survey i completed will have on the dealership.

The way I was given explicit instructions by EVERY salesperson on EVERY car I bought to make sure I fill out all perfect scores on the ratings I would say it matters a lot to them. The salespeople put so much emphasis on it, I would bet there is some financial incentive involved.

One of the guys at TMS who is a sales manager says peoples jobs depend on it now. First time I was in the service dept. for the exhaust pipe adjustment, the owner, GM, sales manager, internet manager and my sales guy all came by at some point to see what was up. Was a little overkill but still a nice feeling.

There is a thread on TMS your Boss moment of the day, one would have been that day. When they put it on the lift every tech came over to check it out, seriously there were 9 or 10 people under the car.

Cloud 9 – some aeroforce questions:
My experience with monitoring / data logging from the OBD II port is that the more items sampled the slower the sample rate.
1. Can the aeroforce be configured to sample one and only one item?
2. Is the sample rate with the BOSS high enough to allow the aeroforce warning light to act as a shift light when monitoring RPM?
3. Is your gauge mounted in the A/C vent over by the A pillar?
4. If you used it as a shift light, could you see it from that location?
Thanks.
-- Jim

1) In scan mode it displays two parameters one on top of the other. If you only set up one you could probably leave the second blank. You can set it up for cyclic scan and it will rotate between up to 8 parameters on a time line you specify.

2) You can set up the "Annunciator" to monitor one or two parameters and flash the two red lights when that is met. e.g. I have mine set to flash when ECT goes above 240F. You could set it up for RPM at say 7000 RPM to warn you if you wanted and if you felt it didn't give you enough time, lower it to 6500. It will also allow you to set up the Annunciator off two variables. e.g. flash when A/F goes above 12.5 when throttle position is greater than 70%.

3) Yes I have an A/C mount that I bought from Lethal Performance.

4) I see the lights flash when I hit 240F ECT so yes you can see it for a shift light.

TMO Supporting Vendors