The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

aeroforce interceptor gauge problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

question for all of you using an interceptor gauge in the roush gauge pod:

I just got the typical aeroforce interceptor, CNF (ford model) 501 firmware version 3.7.

but after driving around, +30minutes, it keeps shutting itself OFF !!! drives me crazy.
actually not exactly shutting itself off but display goes black ( I can see a line of pixels on the bottom)
I have to unplug it from the ODB2, then if I re plug it, it boots up and shuts itself again shortly after operating normally for a few seconds.

really weird. its like its overheating or something. location is in the driver side vent, roush gauge pod, 80 degrees outside, all heat or ac or venting switched off.

I dont get it :(

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Is it mounted in an air vent and do you have the heat on ? If so the contrast of the display can be so poor that the info becomes almost invisible. I noticed this in the winter time and I believe the manual mentions something about overheating the unit. If I remember correctly it causes no harm but the display will go dark until the unit cools off.

Have mine mounted same way, never a problem. Ran it with no heat/a/c up until now, it's 90 plus outside so running a/c. I don't see any display problems even when getting in hot car with 100 degree interior temps.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The heat induced issue will only occur with unit being exposed to hot vent air which is iwell over 100 degrees. I assume another possibility is thst the unit itself is flawed and is heating up on its own, which in turn will impact the LCD display.

no heat or AC is on, nothing. and the displays doesnt look washed out before it happens.
it just goes pouf black pixels except for that last bottom line that stays lit.
I read somewhere on their website that if unit shuts off by itself it may be the wrong firmware for your vehicle, but unit is working fine, only shuts off after 30+minutes of driving.

( its CNF501 version 3.7 and I used the manual recommended Platform 4 for 2011+ mustangs)

once it shuts off:
if I unplug replug right away, then it boots, turns on, and shut off very quickly <1 minute regardless of if I press buttons or leave it alone.
if I wait a while 15-20 minutes before replug, then it boots , turns on, and stays on for a long while @ 15 minutes, then shuts off again...

driving me mad :)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Got it. Did really sounds like a defective unit or possibly glitch in their latest software revision. Maybe can get an earlier version of the software ?

hi Pete, yes I think youre right, since its their latest rev I believe,
I will contact them and see if they can do that!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
rom said:
hi Pete, yes I think youre right, since its their latest rev I believe,
I will contact them and see if they can do that!

The only other thing I can think of is to try is see if the gauge works in another vehicle that uses Platform 4. If it works fine it somewhat indicates it's a software bug that's showing up in the OBD-II interface for our particular car (which it should not). If it behaves the same way it doesn't rule out a software issue but also leaves open the possibility that is hardware related, which would indicate that they would need to replace your entire unit. I would also ask them if there's any possible connectivity problem (open or shorted connection) that could cause this issue. I would assume not since it seems to be pretty time specific but you never know.

Being in the IT world, the one rule of thumb we use is to try to avoid the latest release of any software until it's been totally vetted out. Not always possible, exspecially with this situation. Hopefully they will work with you and get you up and running without too much headache. The only design flaw in it that I've seen is that they chose to use an LCD readout that is not always very readable if the front lens is washed in bright light and also that it is fairly temperature sensitive (where the contrast of the display becomes unreadable under hot conditions).

Good Luck - keep us in the loop with the final solution !

thanks Pete, I'll keep you updated, yes I'll take an earlier firmware anytime.

another thing that surprised me is the Trans Temp, seems to be wrong , no matter what platform setting ( 1 or 4) , it reads like the Battery Voltage, like 13.4 or 12.X , is yours the same?

rom said:

another thing that surprised me is the Trans Temp, seems to be wrong , no matter what platform setting ( 1 or 4) , it reads like the Battery Voltage, like 13.4 or 12.X , is yours the same?
We don't have trans temp sensors. I think the only ones that do for the Mustangs are the automatics, which of course aren't an option with the Boss. Curious what the resolution will be for you. Hopefully they'll contact you back. I had trouble getting my oil temp sender to work and they were pretty good about emailing back and forth until we figured it out.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
rom said:

I'll need to check that, I'm not sure (Please PM me so I'll be sure not to forget to check). However, my "Head Temp 1" shows battery voltage for sure, whereas my "Head Temp 2" shows true cylinder head temp which seems to run 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the "Coolant Temp". The problem is that the OBD-II interface specs are somewhat vague and allow for an interpretation of certain channels. If Aeroforce created a software rev specific for the Boss (or at least for Ford maybe) we wouldn't see these discrepencies.

Edit: Gary answered the Trans Temp question. Good thing I didn't say I thought mine worked! ;D

got it back, they changed the motherboard (eventhough they didnt observe for themselves the issue I had with the old one): but it works PERFECT NOW :)

rom said:
got it back, they changed the motherboard (eventhough they didnt observe for themselves the issue I had with the old one): but it works PERFECT NOW :)
Good to hear. I keep finding more need for it. It's been nice while we chase this "check charging system" warning so I can see my battery still has proper voltage. I can't believe we don't even have a battery gauge on our car ???

true, thats pretty crazy.
I like the fact that the car is like an old one, ie NO FRILLS.
but the one modern thing I wished it had is TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING on dash , kinda tiring to get out and check every tire around the car several times a day :D

Im back.... spoke too soon. 2nd ride out and pouf it wont even boot up.
so fed up with this thing. starting to think they didnt change a thing the first time around... same failure but now does it right away instead of after a while...

why do these things only seem to happen to me grr :(

thanks Pete :(

this and I was placing an order at American Muscle only to realise coupon expired yesterday....

"I have a case of the Mondays" I think...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Do you have a voltmeter that will allow you to check the power port to the unit itself? Does the unit not go on when you first start the car?

TMO Supporting Vendors