The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aeroforce Interceptor on track, what to monitor, annunciator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I have one of these really neat devices. I also have the oil pressure sensor kit but have yet to install it so I can only monitor what OBDII provides. Any recommendations for road course use? Annunciator thresholds? Thanks!

ChuckP said:
OK, I have one of these really neat devices. I also have the oil pressure sensor kit but have yet to install it so I can only monitor what OBDII provides. Any recommendations for road course use? Annunciator thresholds? Thanks!
I installed an oil temp sensor so I track ECT and oil temp. Before that I watched IAT, but it's almost always within a couple degrees of ambient so don't really need to see that anymore. i.e. the cold air intake in our cars works great :D I have the annunciator set to flash when ECT goes above 245. Limp mode is somehwere around 254. Hopefully that's a non-issue with the air-to-oil cooler now.

Maui
I have 2 gauges... top gauge has A/F ratio and oil pressure sensor (analog one). Bottom gauge has ECT and RPM. I have the annunciator set as a shift light at 3000 rpm... Don't really have a track here on maui, only drag strip....

Maui? Been there...twice. What a gorgeous place! Bet you don't drive your Boss on the Hana Highway. I rented a 4-Runner for that last time I was there.

Gary:
Thanks for the reply. Until I get my oil pressure sensor installed I think I'll just just monitor ECT and annunciate at 245 and also use an RPM annunciator for shift light. I have an Airaid cold air intake so I don't intake temps will be an issue.

Having MM C/C plates installed on Tuesday. Since I drive the car on the street and to/from the track I'm thinking of going with -2.2 camber, stock caster and 0 toe.

-Chuck

P.S. Would you be interested in 3 days at Mid-Ohio in May? PCA Potomac is there first weekend of the month and it's cheap if you can instruct. I'm on the fence about going but if at least one more Boss is there to help me annoy Porsches I think I'm in!

ChuckP said:
Gary:
Thanks for the reply. Until I get my oil pressure sensor installed I think I'll just just monitor ECT and annunciate at 245 and also use an RPM annunciator for shift light. I have an Airaid cold air intake so I don't intake temps will be an issue.

Having MM C/C plates installed on Tuesday. Since I drive the car on the street and to/from the track I'm thinking of going with -2.2 camber, stock caster and 0 toe.

-Chuck

P.S. Would you be interested in 3 days at Mid-Ohio in May? PCA Potomac is there first weekend of the month and it's cheap if you can instruct. I'm on the fence about going but if at least one more Boss is there to help me annoy Porsches I think I'm in!
Would love to Chuck, but it's a 15 hour pull each way. Too far for me and I already have BIR (PCA) and MPH weekends booked in May. Wish it was closer because it sounds like fun!

I have mine set to monitor ECT and RPM. This thread reminds me to set the annunciator for both before my next track day.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Am I the only one monitoring CHT ? In my mind it's more important to watch the head temp vs. the coolant temp. On average, my head temp reading is 12 to 15 degrees hotter than the coolant temp once the car fully warms up.

PeteInCT said:
Am I the only one monitoring CHT ? In my mind it's more important to watch the head temp vs. the coolant temp. On average, my head temp reading is 12 to 15 degrees hotter than the coolant temp once the car fully warms up.
I wasn't able to get a reading on head temp. Are you using Platform 4? What parameter are you picking (i.e. specifically what do they name it)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I am using platform 4, it's called "Head Temp 2" (not "1", that's just battery voltage it seems). Maybe it only works on an LS !! ;D LOL

Here it is, a little hard to read, with Coolant temp on top and Head Temp 2 below:

2012-01-14_12-35-51_22.jpg

drano38

Wayne
Pete,
Are you saying you're hot headed? :D

I watch ECT and either IAT or RPM, or some other selection. I'd like oil temp, but that will wait until I pull the trigger on an oil cooler kit.

PeteInCT said:
I am using platform 4, it's called "Head Temp 2" (not "1", that's just battery voltage it seems). Maybe it only works on an LS !! ;D LOL

Here it is, a little hard to read, with Coolant temp on top and Head Temp 2 below:
Ahhhh I tried Head Temp 1 and got a bad reading and stopped there. I need a better flowchart or more persistence :p

Maui
ChuckP said:
Maui? Been there...twice. What a gorgeous place! Bet you don't drive your Boss on the Hana Highway. I rented a 4-Runner for that last time I was there.

Depends what part of hana highway... hehe. The paved curvy parts would be fun to drive...though it's single lane and you will most likely run into traffic. The part past hana where it becomes off road is a different story.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Did you ever get this verified?

What do you mean 'verified' ? It's the OBD output for head temp, unless Aeroforce coded their implementation of Platform 4 incorrectly. My assumption on why the channel for "Head Temp 1" only shows charging voltage is because Ford's implementation of the OBD interface chose to use that channel differently. The OBD 'spec' really isn't a specification as much as it's a suggestion on implementation, which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

PeteInCT said:
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Did you ever get this verified?

What do you mean 'verified' ? It's the OBD output for head temp, unless Aeroforce coded their implementation of Platform 4 incorrectly. My assumption on why the channel for "Head Temp 1" only shows charging voltage is because Ford's implementation of the OBD interface chose to use that channel differently. The OBD 'spec' really isn't a specification as much as it's a suggestion on implementation, which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Remember the PM you sent? ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors