The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aeroforce Oil Pressure Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Without any additional oil cooler, I was getting 270+ F last weekend on track with 90-100 F ambient temps. Acquiring oil cooler parts as we speak. ;)

I was running 265 degrees in 90+ temps last week. I am hoping that the oil temp sensor, which is located in the sandwich plate, is reading temps before the factory oil cooler. If not, the oil is getting really hot! I would like to know if the Ford repair manual has an oil flow schematic? That way I would know for sure. Anyone out there have that info?

06mach1 said:
I was running 265 degrees in 90+ temps last week. I am hoping that the oil temp sensor, which is located in the sandwich plate, is reading temps before the factory oil cooler. If not, the oil is getting really hot! I would like to know if the Ford repair manual has an oil flow schematic? That way I would know for sure. Anyone out there have that info?
I'm pretty sure it's after and that's why I started this thread was to find a better alternative. Hopefully Steve will pop in and explain what he told me about it. Outside of a sensor in the oil pan I think this is the location to use.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
I'm pretty sure it's after and that's why I started this thread was to find a better alternative. Hopefully Steve will pop in and explain what he told me about it. Outside of a sensor in the oil pan I think this is the location to use.

The oil the temp sensor is seeing in a sandwich plate has passed through the oil to water cooler if the plate is installed below the cooler. Oil comes fom the pump and travels through the slot in the cooler, through the hole or slot in the sandwich plate into the filter through the base plate holes and back to the engine oil gallery through the center spud that the filter screws onto. If it was plate then cooler then you would be reading oil out of the pump directly. When you have the secondary cooler the position of the sensor on the plate matters as you can be reading the outflow to the cooler oil as above or the return from the cooler oil. The fact is there is some mixing involved at the plate as the oil circulates through it there is transfer which causes a balanced temperature reading of the 2 conditions.
The most accurate location for a worst case temp reading is in the oil sump or tank just above the oil pump pickup. This will give you temperature of the "used" oil returning from the parts of the engine.

I feel this is one of those apples to apples, relative condition kind of thing. The proof of an effective cooling system is not the absolute numbers but the Delta T when using a cooler vs not. Whether it is 70 or 276 doesn't matter as much as getting it down below 250. Ideally you want the oil to run 220-235 for best performance and longevity, below and you don't burn off condensation and raw fuel, above it you get deterioration of the oil itself, above 280 the oil breaks down and frictional thermal damage occurs to the moving parts. This kills valve springs and bearings as the cant shed the heat generated as they are not water cooled at all.
Steve

Has anyone seen oil temp differences with different grilles?
Just curious how large of an affect a proper grille makes (FWIW I cut open my OE grille, but keep thinking about moving to a Saleen one)

drano38

Wayne
I put the Saleen grill in this summer, but have not tracked yet with it.
I'll be at BIR in 2 weeks, so I should know then.

I'm having problems getting my gauge to read properly. I have the fluid sensor with the 5V regulator and pulling power from an add a fuse. The question I have is do you need to pull the red jumper when installing the fluid sensor since it now has power going to the gauge? With the jumper on I'm getting similar readings as Gary did and I suspect I have the gauge wired incorrectly. When I remove the jumper the gauge does not work which I think is telling my I'm not getting power.

TMO Supporting Vendors