The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AFR ratios, whats too lean.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun@AED said:
At AED we recommend all our customers run Real Race Gas when on the road course. It's what we call 'cheap insurance'.

Guess my track expenses just got increased! :eek:
Once my warranty ends, I'll be contacting you guys for a decent tune. Thanks for the advice.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
It's hard to believe that with all the R&D that went into developing the track key tune this would be an issue. If Ford says to use 91+ (I use 93) should we not be safe? This has me worried and wondering if I should now start mixing in some race gas with my 93?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, will try... fingers crossed.. to have the car ready for Sunday and try out some Sunoco GTX260 Plus. If it works out well will have to look for a remote tune again.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Might be a silly question but.... Can I swap to a higher pressure injector to compensate? Have always wanted 450rwhp that is dependable.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well after finding leaky weld on a repaired x-pipe just down flow from the rear O2 sensor...... once the leak was fixed... all the engine codes vanished and power went up!! Very happy.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Mad Hatter said:
Well after finding leaky weld on a repaired x-pipe just down flow from the rear O2 sensor...... once the leak was fixed... all the engine codes vanished and power went up!! Very happy.

Excellent

Low cost repair!!

Back on track now?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Sunoco is very expensive down here. Looks like over 150 bucks for a 20 liter can!! Looking into aviation fuel.

Ethanol E98 is so common in Brazil it must be available in Chile. I did some searching and didn't see any at the pump but you should be able to order it by the drum. I'm sure E98 is even more protective to our engines than E85!

Shaun is the king of tuning mod motors and has done a wonderful job with my E85 stock piston / rod 2012 GT making big NA power. 3yrs now beating the crap out of it and not a single issue. You don't just get a good tune you get years of R&D, lessons learned, and performance optimizations.

He just sent me a new tune update this year w/o any prompting at all - its just a drivability update but that type of customer service can't be taught or duplicated. Back on topic you are so lucky that it was on the stock tune! its also scary that a cracked exhaust manifold or collector or x pipe is enough to destroy our engines pretty quickly if the knock sensing is turned off.

I wonder if Shaun keeps all 15 degrees in there?

TMSBOSS said:
I am curious if the broken pipe caused a severe lean condition or if the break caused a sensor reading falsely indicating a severe lean condition??

I thought I read Shaun said since the sensor was reading improperly due to the crack leak, the ECU tests it and then ignores that entire mechanism / sensor for controlling AFR an runs a closed loop type system i.e. it does not correct AFR via the long and short trims to get the measured lambda back to the commanded.

Instead, it survives by retarding the shiznit out of the timing and richening up at WOT via the feedback from high exhaust temperatures. Both of those things are not present on the track key but are there on the stock tune. Hence the engine survived!

O2 sensor measuring wrong during the ECU test, that sensor is ignored.
As uncorrected AFR gets lean, you start to see knock
Knock gets corrected by pulling up to 15 degrees of timing.
pulling all that timing cranks the exhaust temps through the roof - resulting in the stock tune's mega rich safety correction strategy.
Also, even if it does not knock, the lean condition will create high enough exhaust temps to engage the rich strategy.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
twistedneck said:
I thought I read Shaun said since the sensor was reading improperly due to the crack leak, the ECU tests it and then ignores that entire mechanism / sensor for controlling AFR an runs a closed loop type system i.e. it does not correct AFR via the long and short trims to get the measured lambda back to the commanded.

Instead, it survives by retarding the shiznit out of the timing and richening up at WOT via the feedback from high exhaust temperatures. Both of those things are not present on the track key but are there on the stock tune. Hence the engine survived!

O2 sensor measuring wrong during the ECU test, that sensor is ignored.
As uncorrected AFR gets lean, you start to see knock
Knock gets corrected by pulling up to 15 degrees of timing.
pulling all that timing cranks the exhaust temps through the roof - resulting in the stock tune's mega rich safety correction strategy.
Also, even if it does not knock, the lean condition will create high enough exhaust temps to engage the rich strategy.

Agree with all.

Just wondering IF there was a lean condition or just a false reading.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will try to log my car tomorrow to see what it runs like with the x pipe fixed and pump gas. Luckily I have a contact with a major fuel supplier here in Chile and next week I should have an Idea of whats available down here as far as fuel goes. Looks like aviation gas is the most likely candidate. Whats VP gas? not familiar with the term. So far have not seen or heard of E85 or E98 but will start looking.

My plan is to try to convince Shaun to tune my car!

I guess that until I have the tune issue sorted out its not worth getting a 84.5mm TB and Airaid CAI?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel