The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Afraid to ask but gotta do it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,

So I have been trying to ignore some concerns I have with my 2012 Boss 302 but I have to ask. First off, it's winter here and temps are hovering in the 40's and 50's. My question is, do your cars run rough at these temps? It seems like my tranny is a lot noisier at idle and I also notice a slight burning smell after doing any kind of harder acceleration.

Before I get the "don't drive it hard in winter comment," understand that I do baby this car 99 percent of the time. I also would never WOT or do anything crazy unless the motor was warmed up after driving a bit. Shifting seems normal and car isn't doing anything too unusual. Just worried about the smell and rough sounding idle (coming from trans area).

Thanks in advance for the help! This forum is the only one I trust with my baby.

~Mason

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Does the trans quiet down after it warms up? I'd only worry about the trans if the cold fluid causes any shifting issues.

No idea about the cause of a burning smell...

I would jack her up and make sure you don't have a plastic bag/other crap caught on the exhaust somewhere. It could be that it is in a spot that only gets hot enough if you get on it like you said.

As for the tranny feel, most here have noticed a significant improvement going to Redline MTL when the tranny is cold. And if you are not tracking that fluid should last for years I expect. But I would listen to other members with more experience on trans lube changing frequency.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You may have a transmission vent tube stuck open. Smells like burning plastic when tranny fluid hits the exhaust.
This was a problem with my car from Day 1, and your car was built before mine based on your signature.

There is a TSB for this, if that's the case.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Transmission vent valve and tube. Valve sticks open, then leaks down both sides of the transmission. There is a TSB and mine was replaced on my 2012 Boss early, less than 3k miles. If it is the valve, then now would be the time to think about a clutch upgrade as the trans has to come out to gain access to the vent valve located at the top of the transmission.

PS: I also had trans oil on the garage floor.

Dave
302 HP

Man you guys might have solved it. I have noticed some fluid on my garage floor. Was hoping it was AC condensation mixed with my old roomies oil change accident but given the posts above I'm starting to wonder.

Any way to see what the history on my car is as far as maintenance/tsb work? I'm second owner so not sure. Also, wouldn't this be a constant issue if it was stuck open? Seems to go away after the motor and tranny warms up. I have 29k on the clock if that helps. Finally, is damage being done as a result if this is the problem?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel