The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

After Market Exhaust Discs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: After Market Discs

ROADRACER33 said:
Are the after market discs still available?

Yes, for now I will continue with this project. I have the 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1 inch and blanks. $26 first set shipped US - $33 Canada- and $18 each for extra sets. Email me sjrsw (at) yahoo.com or PM me here

Thanks

I will be at track attack next week (waiting for Rick and Andy to point me by all day, no doubt) so there will be delays if ordered.

I am updating here the first post to include install instructions since I get asked about that a lot.

Jack up the car as shown below, be careful not to put your arm in between the jack when reattaching the rocker bolt while underneath, it is easy to do and you see what I mean when doing it. If the piston ever gives way....

You will need to go just a bit forward from the jack point in the picture for the rear side pipes but that is fine, no damage worries. Just stay centered on the pinch weld, the rocker bolt is near the jack point in the picture. Otherwise loosen the rocker bolt before and after but that will make it a little harder to adjust. It is best to get a rubber pad for the jack, you can get them anywhere, I ordered one from harborfreight tools and it works great.

To install the Boss 302 exhaust discs you need a 15 wrench and a 15mm socket for the rocker bolts. You remove the three bolts/nuts circled, drop the pipe, pull out the old discs and install the new discs. Make sure the adjustment band on the side pipe has clearance from the floor or it will rattle. You will need about 3/8 of an inch or a little less then a finger width. This is made easier by first installing the rocker bolt but do not completely tighten it until you are finished adjusting the pipe.

If you are unable to get a good clearance with the floor or the pipe is not level (mine was not adjusted correctly from the factory) loosen the long bolt on the band and twist the pipe around a little, that will level the pipe and adjust clearance to the floor boards. As always email me with any questions.

discs2.jpg

Lifting points from the Ford service manual pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=715&viewfile=Jacking and Lifting.pdf

Lifting points
JackPoints-2.jpg
Lifting points from the Ford service manual

Pretty cool, got to meet another Boss owner. This one from far away that was passing through FL to visit family. They stopped by to pick up some discs. First blue production Boss I have seen in person.

CIMG2478.png

Scott do you know which wheels those are? Is that the owner's Winter setup?

5 DOT 0 said:
Scott do you know which wheels those are? Is that the owner's Winter setup?

We talked a little about the tires, he had to swap them out for winter since he drove once in the cold and said they were flat spotted and took a while to warm up. I did not ask about the rims.

He found me off e b a y, been selling the majority off there lately and the price is a lot higher then the forums directly ???

Shipping rates were just raised, that combined with a small increase two months ago on the discs has forced me to raise the price. Only one dollar and only for the first set - $27 shipped. The second or more sets I will keep at the same price for now $18.

Canada shipping has increased also, first set shipped is $34, $18 for extra sets.

Hey 2013 guys, I received a reply at TMS from a Ford engineer that the 2013 discs and side-pipes are in fact the same as the 2012. It may be a good idea for some to get the discs ahead of time so the dealer can install them at pickup. One less thing to worry about like getting the pipes lined back up correctly. Most decent dealers should install them for you at delivery without charge, I know many of the 12 guys had this done.

Speaking of pipes, I was playing around under the car today and confirmed that the passenger side clamp is cocked compared to the driver's side one. I am going to pop the weld and twist it a bit then reweld it. If I turn the pipe as is so the elbow is straight down, then the bolt on the clamp won't hit the floor, but it has to be all the way and the connector can't be done straight. You guys who have issues with it might want to do the same.

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ

2012YellowBoss said:
Posted this at Mustangsource also so please do not respond in both, thanks

OK, I spoke with Ford and was told they can be ordered at $15 each. I finally got a price on the ones I want to make at $9 each. I am going with these since they are stainless steel laser cut and they will have the bigger holes in them ready to go.

I will place an order in a couple of days for mine and anyone else that truly wants them, again this is not a business venture so I don't want/need extras. Figure US Mail anywhere from $3-5 and I would guess two sets would not make a big difference, so right around $25 at most but maybe less for a set shipped.

I am getting 3/4 and 7/8 cut and can have them made blank for 1/2, half is easy to drill out just use you original as a template. Drilling more then 1/2 is harder without the proper equipment. If there are a few that want one inch or bigger I guess that can be done, depends on how many.

Let me know soon.
I'll take 2 sets if still available: 1/2" or blanks and 3/4". Thanks

BOSSAZ said:

Man that is old stuff quoted there. I have the 1/2 and 3/4 ready to go and PMed you.

For everyone else the sizes available are 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, one inch and blank (no holes). 3/4 is the most popular size used but each sound is unique and sizing depends on each owners peculiar taste.

Vermont

2012YellowBoss said:
BOSSAZ said:

Man that is old stuff quoted there. I have the 1/2 and 3/4 ready to go and PMed you.

For everyone else the sizes available are 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, one inch and blank (no holes). 3/4 is the most popular size used but each sound is unique and sizing depends on each owners peculiar taste.

2012YellowBoss - thanks, got my discs in the mail today! Can't wait to install.

FWIW there were three Boss owners at Laguna Seca yesterday. I had the loudest car with 7/8" discs and GT500 axle backs and had no trouble passing the 92 db sound limit. Next weekend the limit is dropping to 90 db for certain events and I think I'd pass that too. There were plenty of cars louder than mine passing the 92 limit. I've heard from a couple sources that wide open side exhaust will not pass the 92 limit. Keep in mind that as you open up the back there is less sound coming out the sides.

TMO Supporting Vendors