The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

aftermarket road race pan leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
to anyone with an aftermarket road race pan:

have you experienced leaks at the pan rail? I bought a moroso for my new engine build and I was told by Shaun at AED that in his experience, 50% of aftermarket pans leak. I certainly don't need to install a pan that will leak oil on the track. I am wondering if I should return it before it goes on the engine and just pick up a boss pan?

Pufferfish,

Seems that some leak and some don't....non-OEM pans can be hit and miss....I chased leaks with the Canton on my '70 Boss. Over tightening and mis-aligned rails are the source of many leaks. I have the Armando/Chicane23 pan on my '13 Boss. Armando build's this pan using an OEM Boss pan as the core and modifies the sump and pickup...so with this pan anyway you avoid any issues with mis-aligned rails. The pan has been on the car for over a 2500 miles...no leaks.

r
Eric

My Canton leaked - I inspected it with my mechanic after he pulled it off and it was pretty clear that the mounting areas were not straight and true - hence the leaking. So there's a lesson - at the least, eyeball these suckers before slapping them on! :D

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I had a good look at the moroso. the rail was definitely warped a bit, but it wasn't much. maybe 1/16"? the sealing surface was good. no imperfections. I put it on the engine and tightened her down. I am reasonably sure the pan will be leak free as long as fasteners stay put. the pan rail is 1/4" thick steel, so its not going to bow between fasteners. I will hopefully find out on Friday if I was right.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
what I did on mine that may have helped is I ran a thin bead of orange RTV sealant on both sides and ran my finger over it to make it nice and even. Also did this one the various fittings it had that I didnt use.

TMO Supporting Vendors