The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone running an aftermarket starter? I've had an intermittent no start issue and was able to track it down to a bad ground on the solenoid. Just wanted to see if anyone else is running anything but the Ford starter to help prevent this issue.

I do have long tubes and had the starter wrapped with heat tape, but I guess that wasn't enough.

I had a similar issue, but mine was the solenoid switch wire where the soldered connection separated. I resoldered it and it worked for a week or two, then it stopped working again. I guess an internal connection in the solenoid went bad.\
When this happened, the car was in a shop at the time for some suspension work, and the shop replaced it with a carquest reman unit. So far it's been working fine. After this experience, I also wrap my reman started with a heat shield, hoping I wont have this problem again.

If you're set on an OEM motorcraft unit, RockAuto has the cheapest price with no core charge. Look online for a coupon, as well. Last time I priced it with a coupon, it came out to ~$130 shipped.

I had a problem with my starter not disengaging. Decided to go with a Ford Racing High-Torque Mini Starter (M-11000-C50). Problem solved and lost another 5 pounds ;D

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/starters/starter-kit-modular-engines/m-11000-c50/

LS110 said:
I had a problem with my starter not disengaging. Decided to go with a Ford Racing High-Torque Mini Starter (M-11000-C50). Problem solved and lost another 5 pounds ;D

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/starters/starter-kit-modular-engines/m-11000-c50/

Thanks John, I did go with this one, the pricing on it is the same as a stock one.

12coBoss said:
Thanks John, I did go with this one, the pricing on it is the same as a stock one.

Reggie - Is that you? Hopefully the starter works well and the problem goes away. Always nice to stay with Ford parts! Was this the problem you were having at MPH?

LS110 said:
Reggie - Is that you? Hopefully the starter works well and the problem goes away. Always nice to stay with Ford parts! Was this the problem you were having at MPH?

Yes it is. Yeah I am guessing this was my issue there. It happened twice out there, then I didn't have an issue for a month, then it was intermittent. Last week I was able to catch it, and looked at the ground on the solenoid and notice how loose it was. So I am guessing that was it.

12coBoss said:
Yes it is. Yeah I am guessing this was my issue there. It happened twice out there, then I didn't have an issue for a month, then it was intermittent. Last week I was able to catch it, and looked at the ground on the solenoid and notice how loose it was. So I am guessing that was it.

Nice to hear you were able to isolate the problem. I ended up completing stripping my 4th gear that Sunday at MPH. Got that fixed and then my slave cylinder went out two weeks later. Other than those two items it was a fairly clean season, other than a few minor items like my coil going out which you helped me out with, thank you!

TMO Supporting Vendors