The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm 6'2" with ape length arms and I'd still like the wheel closer to me. I have no issues with the Alcantara but a fatter wheel would be nice.

Surprisingly I like the que ball shifter and had originally thought of changing it out for a saddle horn style. I use the Bondurant push/pull movement for shifting and rarely grab the shifter.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'll go out on a limb here and state that you should never grab the shifter, at least that's how I've been trained by pro's as well as by some very good (amateur driver) instructors. Anyone who's trained correctly knows if your strangling it then you don't have a good smooth feel for it and your shifts will suffer. You are doing it right! With our MT-82 (even with the MGW) this is even more important. If you try to force that puppy in any gear it can just fight you. And if you're strangling the shifter you probably have a strangle hold on the steering wheel too. You can't have fast smooth reactions if you're all tensed up.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
whats the Bondurant push/pull movement?
It's how he demonstrates shifting in his book. I read it about 20+ years ago and have since used his method. It's not proprietery to him but that's just where I first learned it.
yeah I got that but how do you shift? I dont know what the method is.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
You use the heel of your hand to push the shifter forward and your fingers to pull it backward. I use a very light tough when shifting, it's all our cars need.
ah ok this is how I have been shifting since i was 17 glad I have been doing that right lol. I only grab the ball to put it in reverse

GA
PeteInCT said:
I'll go out on a limb here and state that you should never grab the shifter, at least that's how I've been trained by pro's as well as by some very good (amateur driver) instructors. Anyone who's trained correctly knows if your strangling it then you don't have a good smooth feel for it and your shifts will suffer. You are doing it right! With our MT-82 (even with the MGW) this is even more important. If you try to force that puppy in any gear it can just fight you. And if you're strangling the shifter you probably have a strangle hold on the steering wheel too. You can't have fast smooth reactions if you're all tensed up.

I must be a natural because I figured that out on my own. ;) When I was first learning to drive stick I held onto the shifter and often ended up on the wrong gear. When I start using an open hand and let the shifter center for a second I shifted perfectly every time. I have only be driving stick a little over four years- I only drove automatics before that. I wish I had learned 20 years earlier.

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm 6'2" with ape length arms and I'd still like the wheel closer to me. I have no issues with the Alcantara but a fatter wheel would be nice.

Surprisingly I like the que ball shifter and had originally thought of changing it out for a saddle horn style. I use the Bondurant push/pull movement for shifting and rarely grab the shifter.

http://dallassteeringwheel.com/

These guys do good work and will fatten it up. I kind of want to see if they can wrap the plastic at the 9 & 3 positions. I had my E46 m3 wheel fattened and rewrapped in alcantara by a forum member but a lot of people used Dallas steering wheel with good results. The factory wheel is a little bigger than ideal, but what factory wheel isn't.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel