The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone advise if any aftermarket steering wheel options for the Boss, preferably one that would retain the factory controls? I installed a smaller overall dia. wheel with flat bottom on previous car and made such a huge difference in feel, feedback and leg room (I'm 6'-5" tall). The stock Mustang SW seems so unnecessarily large to me!! Cheers.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
geneva said:
Can anyone advise if any aftermarket steering wheel options for the Boss, preferably one that would retain the factory controls? I installed a smaller overall dia. wheel with flat bottom on previous car and made such a huge difference in feel, feedback and leg room (I'm 6'-5" tall). The stock Mustang SW seems so unnecessarily large to me!! Cheers.
yeah grant makes one
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/GNT-52200/2010-12-Mustang-Grant-Revolution-Steering-Wheel-Black

Thats funny to hear a smaller steering wheel, Ive always went to a bigger one for racing, for the control it gives you on the track.

Justin

geneva said:
thanks for the quick feedback and will check it out!!
if you get it I will give you the 80 bucks plus shipping for that steering wheel. thats what grant will give you if you mail it back to them

boss2511 said:
geneva said:
thanks for the quick feedback and will check it out!!
if you get it I will give you the 80 bucks plus shipping for that steering wheel. thats what grant will give you if you mail it back to them
I'll give you $100. ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Why would anyone replace the stylish, comfortable, and grippy factory Alacantara wheel on the Boss with a Grant wheel you can buy at Pep Boys next to the anodized racing lugnuts? ??? ??? ???

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
Why would anyone replace the stylish, comfortable, and grippy factory Alacantara wheel on the Boss with a Grant wheel you can buy at Pep Boys next to the anodized racing lugnuts? ??? ??? ???
the grant wheel looks like the stock one but is D-Cut along the bottom. I could see getting it if you need more leg room.

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:
I agree. That wheel uses the stock hub and spokes so I don't see how it's going to provide anymore leg room. :eek:
wonder if they shorten the bottom spoke? I personally dont care for the grant wheel as I think the one that comes in the boss is quite awesome as is. the grant one looks like something found in a honda but thats just my opinion lol.

looks like the flat bottom in my amg. while not on the same level as a honda it's a nice feeling wheel.

I looked into this a little bit. I could not find any aftermarket "race" style steering wheels offered that kept any of the controls or the airbag. I wanted to replace the wheel so I can move it closer to the seat (me) as I have to move the seat closer to get my arms in the correct steering position. Still thinkin though. MOMO makes some nice wheels. I have been thinking about taking the wheel off just to se if an extension could be put between the column and the wheel and still keep the electrics working.

The other thing I do not like about the factory wheel is when holding my hands at 3 and 9, it just does not feel comfortable. It feels like the spokes are too big. My hands at the 2 and 10 position feels much better grip wise, not better steering though. And I have big hands.

I bought a three spoke leather covered wheel with air bag for my Audi a few years ago. I had to order it direct from Germany. No company wants to deal with the DOT, airbag certification and american lawyers. You might look over there I doubt you'll find anything in the states.

The wheel is too big, I had a similar issue with the track car and not being able to reach the top of the wheel while turning unless I had the chair up too close for leg comfort. Smaller wheel made it perfect, as it reduced the reach by about an inch. I would get one if there was something that was smaller (I like 330 mm but it would look silly in this car) and still retained the functionality of the stock wheel for street use. A short extension would work if you are a skinny guy.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agree, I'm not a fan of the size/shape of the stock wheel - my hand position isn't where I want it on that wheel. And the Alacantra needs to go - if my hands are not sweaty it's slippery as hell for me. I usually wear gloves when driving, but if I chose not to I'd need to lick the hell out of my hands every other lap ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors