The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket TPMS for track use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know some of you do not have TPMS sensors in your track wheels and some (like me) have stock type sensors installed. However, I would really like to have a real-time, always on, display of all 4 tire pressures while on track. I recently installed an inexpensive aftermarket system in my daily driver (2004 Subaru WRX) when I replaced the tires last month. I'm really impressed since it displays all 4 tire pressures AND optionally temperatures full time on a color display screen. I'm thinking I may try this system with my new PF01 track wheels since it's cheaper than 4 stock compatible TPMS sensors.
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Even though Amazon says 1 to 2 month delivery, mine came in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for tip Chuck, these worked well. The biggest problem is each is assigned to a wheel, LF RF etc. When you rotate the tires you have to remember where they are at. I ended up rotating tires side to side this weekend and once I reduced pressure on the wrong side.

You can pick up OEM TPMS sensors on ebay for less than $100 if you don't want to use these.

BOSS X

Texas
2012YellowBoss said:
Thanks for tip Chuck, these worked well. The biggest problem is each is assigned to a wheel, LF RF etc. When you rotate the tires you have to remember where they are at. I ended up rotating tires side to side this weekend and once I reduced pressure on the wrong side.

RTFM, there is a way to reassign the positions when you rotate the tires.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Now what would be real cool if someone made a monitor that worked off of the stock TPMS sensors since they send the same data I presume - or does this work off of stock sensors also ?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Now what would be real cool if someone made a monitor that worked off of the stock TPMS sensors since they send the same data I presume - or does this work off of stock sensors also ?
This is a good App idea. $$

I'm a step ahead of you buddy ;D LOL. I started looking into it and it's what I suspected, the sensors use a proprietary RF interface (I was SO hoping they actually used Bluetooth technology) that is not compatible with any cell phone technology. In theory someone could develop a small hardware device that received and decoded the signals from the sensors and made them available via the USB port in our phones. An APP could be written to read that data and display it, store it, etc.

I'm still curious about the item that Chuck found. If it's a TPMS receiver in theory it should work with any TPMS sensor (?). I believe there are actually only 2 manufacturers of the sensors, so potentially 2 sub standards under the TPMS standard as far as data formatting is concerned.

For the engineers in our crowd: http://www.automotive-eetimes.com/en/modular-tpms-systems-provide-economical-functional-versatility.html?cmp_id=71&news_id=222902026

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yup. What we need is an RF receiver plus the chip used to decode the signals into data. I may call orange electronics and find out if they can tell me if that receiver requires there specific tpms sensors or if it'll work with any tpms existing system

BOSS X said:
RTFM, there is a way to reassign the positions when you rotate the tires.

That would require reading the instructions :( I figure there must be a way since they make replacement sensors. When you get them they are marked RR, LR on the sensors themselves.

I would not even mess with the factory sensors for the price of this setup, plus you get a temp readout. I did not set the temp alarm from the factory and into one session I hear a beeping alarm going off in the car? The temp was set in the 170's, next session I set it to 212 (the max) and did not set it off. It was nice to know I could hear the alarm on track to let you know in case you have a tire going down.

5 DOT 0 said:
You can pick up OEM TPMS sensors on ebay for less than $100 if you don't want to use these.
But the OEM TPMS will not give you real time pressures and temps on all four tires at the same time.

Chuck, will this throw the idiot light since the stock TPMS isn't there?

On another note, does the lack of the stock TPMS ONLY enable the idiot light or does it enable TC all the time/make the dash blink like a rave (I believe the EVO does this) I'm wondering if I should just throw on the American Muscle aftermarket TPMS so the idiot light doesn't come on for my track wheels.

fduboss302 said:
Chuck, will this throw the idiot light since the stock TPMS isn't there?

On another note, does the lack of the stock TPMS ONLY enable the idiot light or does it enable TC all the time/make the dash blink like a rave (I believe the EVO does this) I'm wondering if I should just throw on the American Muscle aftermarket TPMS so the idiot light doesn't come on for my track wheels.

When you remove the stock sensors and or add this kit you will get the TPMS idiot light. It does not effect anything else like TC. To me a small price to pay for real time info.

TMO Supporting Vendors