The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I absolutely love the matte black BBS Boss 302S wheels: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13505

Wondering for how much it would be possible to sell the stock wheels to upgrade to these...

they look like BBS CH's not a ton of money they are a cast wheel (the BBS's are cast). no idea if they come in mustang lug patterens or offsets. Would look good though.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Basically there are 2 types of wheels available for purchase. There are wheels that are forged and those that are cast. Typically forged wheels are lighter in weight than cast and are stronger too. If you plan on ever racing your vehicle on the track I would never consider anything but a forged wheel. I would be very concerned driving at speeds greater than 130+ MPH on a cast wheel. There are almost no safety standards used in the manufactur of these wheels so you never know what quality there is associated with the wheels. The problem with forged wheels are that a good set can cost you 5K! Just think of this expense as an insurance policy on your life.

MMD

I would be very concerned driving at speeds greater than 130+ MPH on a cast wheel. There are almost no safety standards used in the manufactur of these wheels so you never know what quality there is associated with the wheels.

So basically you think the official black Boss 302S wheels aren't very safe?

Dvendet

TheMarco said:
I would be very concerned driving at speeds greater than 130+ MPH on a cast wheel. There are almost no safety standards used in the manufactur of these wheels so you never know what quality there is associated with the wheels.

Basically these wheels are not going to be as mechanically strong as a forged wheel. They are going to weigh more than forged wheel and they are not built to any known type of design standards.

If you want to race your car then compare a riced up 302s wheel against something like a Forgeline or maybe Modulare or Say HRE wheel. No comparison. Most of the low cost wheels on the market are either for show or street driving. You're taking a big risk in tracking a cast riced-up wheel. Take a look at the fastest track cars at most any level of the sport and the're all using forged. Mechanical strength and weight savings are the name of the game.

MakeMyDay said:
TheMarco said:

Basically these wheels are not going to be as mechanically strong as a forged wheel. They are going to weigh more than forged wheel and they are not built to any known type of design standards.

If you want to race your car then compare a riced up 302s wheel against something like a Forgeline or maybe Modulare or Say HRE wheel. No comparison. Most of the low cost wheels on the market are either for show or street driving. You're taking a big risk in tracking a cast riced-up wheel. Take a look at the fastest track cars at most any level of the sport and the're all using forged. Mechanical strength and weight savings are the name of the game.

I totally understand what you're saying. I guess I'm just surprised then that Ford Racing sells 'official wheels' that aren't as good as they should be for real racing...

I like just about anything but the stock wheels. I just ordered a set of the black leguna seca wheels for a car I don't have yet. i like the brushed spokes on the ls wheels. I am not a road racer so I don't need the extra light wheels. I am more of a drag racer and have a set of drag wheels from my 2005 I sold. I respect you guys just affraid to bend sheet metal. Cant wait toput them on when I get the car. I have been told June.

Dvendet

TheMarco said:
MakeMyDay said:
TheMarco said:

I totally understand what you're saying. I guess I'm just surprised then that Ford Racing sells 'official wheels' that aren't as good as they should be for real racing...

These wheels are probably adequate for their intended purpose. I am not familiar with the "form flow" casting process but Ford indicates it improves mechanical strength, reduces weight, and this wheel does seem to conform to some internal Ford imposed safety standards from what I can gather. This wheel is a definate upgrade from a stock Boss wheel. However, they are not as good as any of the wheels I previously cited. Racing is all about trade-offs between dollars and performance. However, you would never see a wheel like this on a car like a 200MPH GT40.

Dvendet

2boss2's said:
I like just about anything but the stock wheels. I just ordered a set of the black leguna seca wheels for a car I don't have yet. i like the brushed spokes on the ls wheels. I am not a road racer so I don't need the extra light wheels. I am more of a drag racer and have a set of drag wheels from my 2005 I sold. I respect you guys just affraid to bend sheet metal. Cant wait toput them on when I get the car. I have been told June.
I am unfamiliar with the requirements of NHRA drag racing. However, I am sure there is well thought out mechanical requirements for all race classes. It is incumbent upon you to learn what NHRA says about wheel and tire requiements in your vehicle class.

JUst a bracket racer on sat nights and a the area Ford events. Thanks for the info. Gave up competitve racing a few years ago when I sold My supergas car. Too much work with the job and kids. A hobby has to be fun so I sold it.

The stock wheels are fine up to the speed limited top speed of 155 mph. The SVT wheels I have on my Boss are forged and cost more than the 302S wheels.

Dvendet

ArizonaGT said:
Those BBS wheels are the same as what is used in Grand Am and World Challenge. They are cast, but they are strong, and light.
Yes. I don't know - do you know anything about the "form flow" casting process that Ford cites for this wheel. At least Ford is trying to apply some level of engineering safety standards on their hi-performance wheels. Too many wheels out there are made for show and have not been designed and tested to meet hi-performance design standards. There is too much risk associated with driving at speeds in excess of 150 MPH on a wheel that was not designed to bear the incredible loads imposed on the wheel at those speeds. Generally speaking, a forged and preferably one piece construction wheel is going to be a better constructed, higher performing wheel.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
MakeMyDay said:
Generally speaking, a forged and preferably one piece construction wheel is going to be a better constructed, higher performing wheel.

I agree; however my point was that these wheels take a significant beating in the multiple series I mentioned--It's OK to assume that these wheels are very good.

I know a lot of people who run Rotas on racecars (dedicated, full on racecars not street legal cars) because the classes they run have minimum weight requirements. Mostly on lighter cars than the Boss, true, but a real race car is subjected to more stress than a street car that is doing HPDEs and I can't remember one every failing. Not that I would put Rotas on the Boss like I have on my spec car, but cast wheels are not necessarily weak. Our rods are powder metal too iirc and Ford claims they are the strongest rods they have ever put in a car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel