AIM Solo DL - what data can it provide?

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by tetstang, Nov 30, 2019.

1. tetstang

tetstang TMO Intermediate

Hey to all track junkies -

I have a AIM Solo (not DL) that I've had for 5 or more years, and use their Race Studio v2 software. For video, I use an older GoPro. I'd like to get data embedded on my vids, so moving to a Solo DL seems possible, with use of a SmartyCam.

Looking at AIM's user info, it looks like a lot of data is available, such as RPM, Speed, Throttle position, steering angle, water and head temps from the ECU via the OBDII. But I don't see that brake pressure is given, only brake light illumination.

Ideally, I'd like to get RPM, speed, gear, throttle position, brake pressure, and temps. That all seems possible with the SOLO DL, except for maybe brake pressure. Do only the dash loggers like the AIM MXS with additional inputs allow for this?

Thanks guys!. BTW - was just on track at Sonoma with VoodooBoss on Black Friday. It was 31 and slicker than snot in the morning, but was a good afternoon. We had fun regardless.

2. flyhalf

flyhalf TMO Race

Hey
    So here I will probably go against humanity. Lol
    I dont like AIM products. I personally believe is one of the products like Gopro(and also Apple) that is really overpriced fpr what it offers.
    The hardware is ok but nothing impressive (timing is very very similar to my free Trackaddict App in my phone.
    Software. I thinknwe all agreed that it seems like a windows 3.1 software.
    The only real advantage is the connection with their own camera for an easy overlap of the data. although i don't think the camera quality is incredible and also I've never seen it outboard.
    Plus microphone sucks.

My point is.
    You can buy 20$ obd bluetooth connector to link with your phone to have timing and data. Then with RACERENDER3 you render video and datas together. All for 20$
    Or
    There are other product which i believe are superior.
    APEXPRO in example. Apexpro has a little case with green and red light for a analogic visual understamdimg how you doing on track (realtime ) connected to your phone or ipad(i do ipad)
    plus and more important you can review data RIGHT AWAY between session without the need of a LAPTOP or downloading anything. Everything is ready to go. I use ipad cause i can see better on the ipad. But you can connect it to the iphone.
    They also do timing and now they have the OBD function. They also collaborate with harry laptime for easy video and overllapping data (i don't use it tho)

Last.
    I really really hope someone will come out with a dedicated camera for racing that will include high-quality ext mic without the need of huge connector. (Like recent gopros or garmin)
    Hope this helps.

Ps. I passed by sonoma to say Hi to Rick and Byron. What car do you have?
    Alex

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. Coz

Coz TMO Addict

For a Bluetooth OBDII connector, I would recommend the ODBLink MX+. A bit more at about $75 but has a good app of its own and now works on Android and iPhone/iPad.

I use it with Harry's LapTimer. Then use RaceRender to overlay data onto GoPro Hero4 video.

4. strengthrehab

strengthrehab TMO Race

Yall realize the key to AiM products is not the lap time it is the actual data traces you collect.

Any tom dick and harry app can collect lap times.

Aim is a data system not just a lap timer. The lap time is the very tip of what it is used for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

honeybadger likes this.
  5. HR692

HR692 TMO Advanced

@strengthrehab Please expand on your experience with Aim, I'm on the fence if Aim Solo DL can noticeable help my safe progression (I only have a few track weekends underneath me) or just use Harrys for a while? I mention safe only because I've heard of less experienced drivers can get into trouble once the start trying to improve lap times.

6. strengthrehab

strengthrehab TMO Race

Honestly, just watch these.

HR692 likes this.
  7. Apex3V

Apex3V Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast

8. honeybadger

honeybadger TMO Advanced

I've done it both ways and I'll never touch a phone based lap timer again.

I run an AIM Solo II DL and SmartyCam and it's worthy every bit of the $1,700 I paid. Every bit.

Every time I get in the car and go out on track, my laps are recorded with data and overlay. I can access the video with overlay in seconds compared to over an hour try to sync them together on my laptop. It's just so easy. And I have data of every lap. I can check oil temps, water temps, etc. Going back a year.

But most importantly, it just works every time the car is on track....without me ever needing to check it. Worth it.

I get individual wheel speed, rpm, water temp, head temps, steering angle, AIT, voltage, brake pressure, etc.

HR692 and flyhalf like this.
  9. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow Mike

10. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

I don't know why it would take an hour to sync the files. My installation of TrackAddict on the phone does the data sync in real time or close to it, by the time I'm back in the pits I can view the laps on the phone with data points such as corner speed, though I rarely ever do that.

When I get home I copy the files I want from the phone to my laptop and process the sessions/laps that I want to save in keeper videos. It takes minutes to copy them over and using a standard template in RaceRender it takes maybe 5-10 minutes to make a video. The log file (XLS) contains 26 columns and usually around 36,000 rows of data for a 20 minute session.

For my purposes (admittedly low end on the video side) it is more than adequate and the entire schmozzle, including the OBDLink MX BT unit and the cheap chinese phone, cost me less than $200USD. As always, YMMV.

11. strengthrehab

strengthrehab TMO Race

ONce again, AiM products are less about video analysis and more about the data traces you get from the logger.

Trackaddict is not on the same level at all for actual data traces and data analysis.

How many pro drivers use trackaddict? How many use AiM products?

I can take the video card out of my camera and have instant data overlays. I can then pull up my data traces and compare 2 laps or fastest lap from each session and see where things happened. Not only the fast lap, but why was it faster.

If all you want to see is cool videos--then yes, get track addict and race render. if you want to actually know why a particular lap was better than another and use that data to improve.--get a real data logger.

The_Dead_Cow and honeybadger like this.
  12. honeybadger

honeybadger TMO Advanced

Do you have the shake/shutter on your phone video? When I used HLT to do the video and data, it gave me horrible video. I also had a dead phone from the battery drain.

Syncing up laps with separate video and data is pretty tedious. At best, 30 mins...every single time. Have laps from different sessions? Gotta do it 2x.

The AIM setup isn't worth it for everyone, no doubt. But you'd be shocked how much you appreciate it once you get used to it.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  13. Rob-17GT350

Rob-17GT350 TMO Beginner

As others have mentioned, it depends on your goals what system you use. In my race cars I only use Race Technology DL1 data logger with OBDII integration. Phenomenal data and easy to use software. I overlay GoPro video as needed.

Apex3V and VoodooBoss like this.
  14. flyhalf

flyhalf TMO Race

Rob what camera and microphone do you use please?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

15. Rob-17GT350

Rob-17GT350 TMO Beginner

Camera is the older GoPro Hero 3. Microphone is the one in the GoPro. I've found positioning the camera on the center of the horizontal bar on the cage and leaving the seal on the cover allows appropriate level of external sound to be recorded while minimizing wind noise. Below is same setup in my current car. Through trial and error I've found how to make low cost GoPro camera's worked fairly well.

16. strengthrehab

strengthrehab TMO Race

This is my Solo2DL with smartycam.

Instant overlay.

17. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

Yes, there is some shake on the phone, I attribute that to the windshield mount, it's a RAM mount and it's pretty good but really isn't up to the job at times. The biggest issue I have is the phone losing focus, I have it locked to infinity but it keeps trying to focus on near things for some unknown reason, as I mentioned it's a cheap chinese phone. It does have a fairly high end chipset so it is pretty fast at keeping up with the data flow. I keep it plugged in to the USB port on the car so battery drain on the phone isn't an issue.

I just like the simplicity of doing it this way and my needs for the video are fairly low end so it works for me. I'm still getting all the data points and that's really the biggest issue for me.

18. Jimmy Pribble

Jimmy Pribble TMO Addict

Yes ;)