The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Air bag deactivation for track use??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, my time attack rules changed this year. I wanted some help on two of the rules for me here in Chile

1) Airbags have to be deactivated.... Is that normal??

2) Four point harness mandatory but roll cage is not. I thought a harness should always go with a roll cage?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
1) Depends on the organization, but yes, it's fairly normal.

2) Harnesses *should* go with at least a roll bar, IMO. That said, I think it is a somewhat a conservative guideline in cars with really good rollover rating.

If I'm not mistaken your car will have the side airbags in the seat. The easiest way to deactivate your air bags is to unplug one of the connectors for the airbag in one of the two front seats and that will deactivate the whole system and the airbag light on the dash should illuminate. If I am mistaken please someone correct me.

OP, you are correct--you don't want to run any harness without roll protection. NASA doesn't even allow 4 pt anymore--stock 3pt or 5+. No idea why you would want to make people deactivate airbags.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cosm3os said:
OP, you are correct--you don't want to run any harness without roll protection. NASA doesn't even allow 4 pt anymore--stock 3pt or 5+. No idea why you would want to make people deactivate airbags.

Unless the rules have changed this season, at least for NASA Northeast, the 4 pt ASM system that Schroth offers was allowed. There is no reason for them not to allow this if they allow a 3 pt system, as the ASM allows the body to rotate in a crash as a 3 pt. does.

-Pete

Grant 302

cosm3os said:
No idea why you would want to make people deactivate airbags.

In theory, a harness strapped-in driver
may also be distracted, mildly injured, vision obstructed, and unable to work the steering wheel after airbags deploy. I think it's prudent to have the airbags off with roll protection, helmet and harnesses.

PeteInCT said:
Unless the rules have changed this season, at least for NASA Northeast, the 4 pt ASM system that Schroth offers was allowed. There is no reason for them not to allow this if they allow a 3 pt system, as the ASM allows the body to rotate in a crash as a 3 pt. does.

-Pete

Pete, I thought NASA Nat'l outlawed ALL 4 pts last year.

Grant 302 said:
In theory, a harness strapped-in driver
may also be distracted, mildly injured, vision obstructed, and unable to work the steering wheel after airbags deploy. I think it's prudent to have the airbags off with roll protection, helmet and harnesses.

You get in a wreck big enough to set off the bags, you don't need to see or work the steering wheel cause you are done.

Grant 302

cosm3os said:
You get in a wreck big enough to set off the bags, you don't need to see or work the steering wheel cause you are done.

Probably, but how do you know?

I'd rather not take the unnecessary hit(s). I don't get what you think the benefit is.

TMO Supporting Vendors