The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Air bags and Track Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's my personal opinion on this topic. If you don't have a full cage with proper harnesses and neck restraints (basically a race car) don't disable any airbags!

So have you done any safety upgrades on your car?

I have a 4 pt roll bar and 4 pt ASM harness (wrap to roll bar). Mostly worried about the air-bag recall thing. Less worried about an off track excursion or something worse.

I'm going to be in a similar situation soon. I was planning on leaving the front airbags alone, but the side airbags will be gone with the seats.

I just spoke to a dealer about this today since it was on my mind also, and they have no clue when the Tacraps will be replaced. Unfortunately for us, it is in the drivers side... What I have been trying to find is a breakdown of the incidents with years of manufacture listed to try and see if there is a correlation to area and age of the airbag. That way I could figure out just how worried I should be.

In my last track car (SN95) I disconnected both airbags when running at the track. Simply unplugged them from behind. I did have a rollcage and harnesses.

Havent got into the S550 yet to see if the same can be done.

Also would like to disconnect the seat airbags somehow.

Anything happens, it just less expensive to fix without having to worry about 1000's of dollars in airbags and actuators.

Several years ago brushed a rail at a track which damaged the front bumper...both airbags went off. The cost of replacing the airbags was more than fixing the bumper and radiator parts. :(

TMO Supporting Vendors