The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Air conditioning delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't think you'll gain much just from bypassing the compressor. I believe people usually "delete" the AC for weight reduction purposes. When the AC is not on, the compressor's not operating and there is minimal energy loss.

I could be wrong though :p, and it might make a bigger difference for supercharged folks.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
ArizonaGT said:
The AC compressor is on the passenger side of the block, it's on a separate belt from (behind) the serpentine. Cut that belt, AC drag gone.

That's like burning money, why not just remove it?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Removing the belt will do nothing for performance. Just make sure climate is off when racing. Removing the whoe system from the car will save 35-40 lbs and will help weight distribution, cooling, handling and performance. All just a little bit. Unless you are a die hard racer I woul leave it alone and enjoy the AC during your summer drives.
Steve

For road racing I've seen people remove the ac condenser as it sits in front of the radiator. If I were to do this, I would pull the belt and compressor.
For drag racing most modern vehichles disengage the ac at wot.
Other than weight reduction I'd leave it be....don't turn on your ac while racing ;)

Thanks everyone! There are no tracks for at least a 7 hour drive from me, so I wont get much of a chance to track it. There is however a really good Drag track just 2 hours from me, so I might hit that up 2-3 times this summer. I guess I will just leave the compressor and belt hooked up. I appreciate the advice!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I had always thought the reduced weight from removing those old super heavy compressors was 10x more beneficial than any parasitic loss from the belt attached to the engine. So I would have to agree that unless you are running your Boss as a dedicated drag strip only car, leave the AC setup as is.

TMO Supporting Vendors