The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Air Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently called my Ford parts dept for a price on a 2012 air filter and they quoted me $100.93. Has anyone used any other brands that would be comparable to the OEM? I did see partsgeek.com has one. Any suggestions?
K&N Air Filter
Sale Price: $36.10
Quantity:
(16) In Stock
Part Number: 118455-07095598

There must've been a misunderstanding, becasue there's no way a paper air filter costs $100 lol, unless they quoted you the whole airbox and tube.

Last time I replaced the filter was before a track event, so I needed one pretty quickly. So, bought a Puralator filter from advance auto for around $20.

I personally try to stay away from oiled filters, since high flow dry filters exist nowadays.

I had wondered also if people were switching to aftermarket dry filters that can be cleaned instead of constantly buying a new filter every so often.

I know of two companies that make direct fit dry filters, aFe and AEM. I was looking at the aFe for a while, but then just decided to stick with oem style paper filters for now. If you do decide to go this route, your main benefit will be the re-usability of the filters, don't anticipate any power out of these.

F.D. Sako said:
I know of two companies that make direct fit dry filters, aFe and AEM. I was looking at the aFe for a while, but then just decided to stick with oem style paper filters for now. If you do decide to go this route, your main benefit will be the re-usability of the filters, don't anticipate any power out of these.
I wasn't under the impression I could get any power from a filter, just would like to save in the long run.

Brandon302 said:
I wasn't under the impression I could get any power from a filter, just would like to save in the long run.

I remember reading reviews that the aFe one was a tight fit, and the element got squeezed a bit, and that the element surface area is less than the stock filter. Haven't confirmed these, but they might help you decide later on.

F.D. Sako said:
I remember reading reviews that the aFe one was a tight fit, and the element got squeezed a bit, and that the element surface area is less than the stock filter. Haven't confirmed this, but they might help you decide later on.
That does help, I was surprised that Airaid doesn't make a filter, or I couldn't find one.

F.D. Sako said:
There must've been a misunderstanding, becasue there's no way a paper air filter costs $100 lol, unless they quoted you the whole airbox and tube.

Last time I replaced the filter was before a track event, so I needed one pretty quickly. So, bought a Puralator filter from advance auto for around $20.

I personally try to stay away from oiled filters, since high flow dry filters exist nowadays.

That is what I thought but I remember buying a filter for my 08 Bullitt somewhere else because ford wanted too much $$$. Not sure why they are charging so much!

I dont know, some of these part prices are absurd. I was just looking at a stock lower grill, because I want to add brake cooling vents and didnt want to drill into the stock one... turns out ford wants $503 for a lower grill!

F.D. Sako said:
I dont know, some of these part prices are absurd. I was just looking at a stock lower grill, because I want to add brake cooling vents and didnt want to drill into the stock one... turns out ford wants $503 for a lower grill!

Sucks if you are trying to replace parts yourself, doesn't suck when you get in an accident and can get a Tiger hood cheaper then the stock one, a la myself.

BLAZN BOSS

Go to http://www.fordparts.com/. Enter your vin and select the category of part you want...............looks like motorcraft replacememnt filter is 19.00

BLAZN BOSS said:
Go to http://www.fordparts.com/. Enter your vin and select the category of part you want...............looks like motorcraft replacememnt filter is 19.00

Thanks. I actually went there but found it cheaper through ebay plus free shipping. Motorcraft FA-1897 Air Filter $15.95.

I assume that the parts person I spoke to must of quoted the price of the air box for $100. Always good to shop around.

TMO Supporting Vendors