The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Air Pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossMan

What is everyone running as far as air pressure for normal driving?

That is my plan. But I've been filling my tires with nitrogen on my '07. Is that a benefit or a bunch of hype? The air pressure seems to remain constant longer from what I've experienced.

GA
jimprw said:
That is my plan. But I've been filling my tires with nitrogen on my '07. Is that a benefit or a bunch of hype? The air pressure seems to remain constant longer from what I've experienced.

I think the main advantage to nitrogen fills is that it is dry unlike regular pump air so your tires last longer (less rot). The air pressure supposedly holds better because the nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen (even though in air you get 78% of it as nitrogen for free).

PJWANNABE said:
I think the main advantage to nitrogen fills is that it is dry unlike regular pump air so your tires last longer (less rot).

I doubt the Boss tires will last six years but I will never drive on tires older then 6 years again. I have an F250 that had tires 6 years, 2 months old. One ripped apart, I was not hurt but it bend up the bed and wrapped around the axle and brake lines. Something to keep in mind, I don't care if they were store in a dry/wet place or not, six years by date for me.

2012Boss said:
I doubt the Boss tires will last six years but I will never drive on tires older then 6 years again. I have an F250 that had tires 6 years, 2 months old. One ripped apart, I was not hurt but it bend up the bed and wrapped around the axle and brake lines. Something to keep in mind, I don't care if they were store in a dry/wet place or not, six years by date for me.

I have heard you should replace your tires if there more than 5 years old. And that's from when they were manufactured not bought.

GA
2012Boss said:
PJWANNABE said:
I think the main advantage to nitrogen fills is that it is dry unlike regular pump air so your tires last longer (less rot).

Unless your Boss is going to be a garage queen don't lose any sleep over it.

BossMan

I have found out that these tires really grip well and right now I am running @ 40psi. I like to run a little higher. I will keep an eye out for wear as well regarding air pressure.

Both ;D

Five years would be better and yes by the date on the tire not the date you bought it. In my case it was on a F250 that saw little use. I think I would be more careful on a car like the Boss.

BossMan said:
I have found out that these tires really grip well and right now I am running @ 40psi. I like to run a little higher. I will keep an eye out for wear as well regarding air pressure.
I have a mechanic friend of mine that swears running at 40 PSI is preferable to the recommended 35 PSI. I value his opinion, but still I would think the manufacturer of both the cars and the tires would know best. Plus at 35 PSI cold, when you've run them a bit they'll be higher than that anyway. I'm planning to run at 35 PSI, but will fill with nitrogen as soon as possible.

jimprw said:
BossMan said:
I have a mechanic friend of mine that swears running at 40 PSI is preferable to the recommended 35 PSI. I value his opinion, but still I would think the manufacturer of both the cars and the tires would know best. Plus at 35 PSI cold, when you've run them a bit they'll be higher than that anyway. I'm planning to run at 35 PSI, but will fill with nitrogen as soon as possible.
Do you have your own tanks or a source close by to refill?

I am running 37 cold, adjust at the track as needed. Don't have a lot of miles on the car so it is hard to say anything about wear but I like the 37 as a good starting point and for the street.

TMO Supporting Vendors