The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Airaid CAI Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the Airaid CAI on the Boss. I asked Shaun from AED Tuning to recommend a CAI that has produced the best results and he said the Airaid one is his preferred choice. What does everyone think?

Also, regarding the continental series cars. I see gold rap all over the the stock intake. However, isnt gold the best heat "conductor"? Wont it conduct/catch all the heat from the engine and bring it to the walls of the CAI tube?

Sarosh

Several of us have the Airaid and it works fine. By itself it doesn't add much if anything. The quality and fitment are OEM quality. Oh and it looks really cool.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Are you going to be running an aftermarket tune?

I am running the steeda boss CAI
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ST-5553162/Mustang-Boss-302-Steeda-Cold-Air-Intake-System

I was leaning towards the Steeda one before, but dont like the multi-material design of the pipe. Ohhhh, and its not carbon fiber and doesnt have PJs name on it so it will probably give 10 less hp ;D

Fact is I like both, but I want an AED tune, and Shaun recommends the Airaid. Now I know people on here have experience with Airaid products too. What more reason do I need?

The only concern I had was the "no tune required" slogan that is surrounding these Airaid CAI's. I don't understand that. I guess they market it for the masses who wont get a tune and it gives a little better performance. I am hoping a tune actually unlocks its potential.

Sarosh

sadil said:
The only concern I had was the "no tune required" slogan that is surrounding these Airaid CAI's. I don't understand that. I guess they market it for the masses who wont get a tune and it gives a little better performance. I am hoping a tune actually unlocks its potential.

Sarosh
The Airaid has a reduction sleeve that you use for stock tunes and remove for aftermarket tunes. It's an excellent design.

sadil said:
Also, regarding the continental series cars. I see gold rap all over the the stock intake. However, isnt gold the best heat "conductor"? Wont it conduct/catch all the heat from the engine and bring it to the walls of the CAI tube?

Sarosh

Gold the element is an excellent conductor. I don't think gold the tape is much of a conductor. They only share a similar color.

seca954...I am quite familiar with the difference between elements and wrap for looks. I was thinking that the wrap/tape being used might have the properties of the element. And if so, how it worked. I dont think Conti Series cars are looking for more bling.

ArizonaGT said:
That gold foil is not actual gold. Whatever it is, is heat reflective.

I'm having a hard time finding a definitive source, but I THINK that gold foil is a form of gold leaf and therefore, does contain gold, just as aluminum foil contains aluminum. As for it's useful property, this has to do with the color itself, which was found by NASA to be the best at reflecting light in the IR range, i.e. radiant heat. In and of itself, it would probably be useless to use as an insulation against conductive heat.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm assuming it's this stuff: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

Part No.: 1838-Size

Self Adhesive GOLD Reflective Heat Barrier Film, per foot
Our Gold Reflective Film has excellent heat reflective characteristics, yet it is very thin and easy to install. Capable of reflecting 78% of all radiant heat while withstanding continuous operating temperatures of 675° Fahrenheit (357° C) for a minimum of 8 hours.

The special metalized polyamide polymer is laminated to a thin layer of glass cloth, with a high-temperature pressure sensitive adhesive. This film is very lightweight at only 5 ounces per square yard, and is easy to apply (just peel and stick). The minimum air gap to the heat source is just 1mm, so it is perfect for tight installations. Sold by the running foot from a roll that is 24 inches wide.

Note: We've been asked if this Reflective Heat Barrier Film contains real gold. Frankly we don't know what metallic elements are contained in this gold colored film. However, we suspect that it could not contain real gold at this low price. What we DO know is that it works extremely well. We have carried this very popular heat barrier for several years and have heard nothing but rave reviews from our customers! The list of satisfied users includes many of the top teams in the highest echelons of racing.

ArizonaGT said:
I'm assuming it's this stuff: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

So they don't know either? Sheesh. I got kitchen knives with their metal content stamped on them. I guess it's "top secret NASA technology" like those sunglasses I bought off the TV once. 8)

Not sure if this has been asked, has anyone run the Airaid with the Tiger hood in the rain? Do the vents on the Tiger hood lay directly over the intake box?

couldn't be happier with my cf pj airaid cai. the fit and finish is the best out there. Have yet to get a tune and remove the insert though.

Loved my Airaid CAI, but hated that no revisions were made for 2013 to account for the air vents (im sorry an optional piece of aluminum sheet doesnt cut it). Water soaking the filter stalled the car once, and I took it off immediately and sold it. I shouldn't have to worry about taking the car out in the rain. So far have been stock ever since.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sadil said:
Loved my Airaid CAI, but hated that no revisions were made for 2013 to account for the air vents (im sorry an optional piece of aluminum sheet doesnt cut it). Water soaking the filter stalled the car once, and I took it off immediately and sold it. I shouldn't have to worry about taking the car out in the rain. So far have been stock ever since.
jlt sells a piece of foam for like 10 bucks to go in the vent to prevent that from happening.....

TMO Supporting Vendors