The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AIRAID CF Intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: 2012 Boss Cold Air Intake..................

Jeff Quinn said:
Any of you fellows tried this CAI? If so, is it compatible with track key?
We should know by the end of next week.

DigiCowboy said:
Boss 1276 - but the tuner is a big part of that cost. I put a CAI / Tune on my son's GT and the tuner was the more expensive part of the combo. The tuner AND CAI cost than the AIRRAID CAI alone. But then again, I may not be comparing apples to apples. That was not carbon fiber and I am sure not the quality of the AIRRAID. Another factor is that they are playing to a small market if it is Boss specific, so low production volume would bring the cost way up.

Hello DigiCowboy,

Yes the big difference here is the Overall Quality of Components and the Fit & Finish. This is a hand made, hand laid Carbon Fiber tube.

All AIRAID Intakes are Made in the USA and Feature our Lifetime "No-Hassle" Warranty!

Thanks,
David

BossJockey said:
Looks nice. it interesting that "no special tuning is required". Don't most other aftermarket CAI for the mustang require a tune? It's also interesting that there intake makes 19hp on the Boss but only 11hp on a 5.0 GT.

Hello BossJockey,

The AIRAID has been fully engineered and calibrated and does not require any aftermarket tuning.

Yes, allot of other CAI's require tuning, yet shouldn't. Typically the "Tune" is making up for lack of proper MAF functionality.

The AIRAID is designed with the MVT for the best of both worlds. You can purchase the kit and bolt it on without any issues. As the modifications grow on the car, and when you start getting into major modifications that actually require a complete custom tune ( Cylinder heads, camshaft, ext.), then you can remove the MVT insert and the AIRAID can grow with the car and it's modifications as well.

You should not have to purchase a Cold Air Intake and then have to purchase a $300-$600 Tune just to make it work properly.

Thanks,
David

ArizonaGT said:
David:

We're all anxious to see those dyno graphs comparing stock vs. AIRAID w/ and w/o TracKey. :)

Hello ArizonaGT,

I am anxious to see the results as well :)

The Boss arrived today. So testing for the next couple days. Once the data is collected I will be happy to post it up.

Thanks,
David

DigiCowboy said:
David,
Nice to see such a responsive mfg. If the dyno numbers pan out I may be sold on one. It is a great looking unit.

Hello DigiCowboy,

It should be interesting to see the numbers now that the car is fully broken in as well.

The pictures do not do this piece justice, it's simply stunning in person.

Thanks,
David

cloud9 said:
David is that a wash and air dry filter or does it require oiling?

Hello cloud9,

WE offer both options :)

Now for those who like the Blue Filter color, I would reccomend using the SynthaMax NON-Oiled Filter. Here is some information about the two.

1. SynthaFlow : 5 layer Cotton/ Synthetic Oiled based Air Filter

2. SynthaMax : 2 Layer Fully Synthetic NON-Oiled Air Filter.

Both Air filters are going to offer great airflow and excellent filtration.

The SynthaFlow (Oiled) will flow about 5% more airflow, and is the best combination of air flow and Filtration of any performance filter on the market today! Typical Service intervals are between 30-50K, and you will need a AIRAID Cleaning Kit to Service the filter.

The SynthaMax (Non-Oiled) Filter is a great choice if you have concerns about the Oil Contamination myth, or if you are looking for a filter that offers a bit easier maintenance. Typical Service intervals are around 15-30K and what’s really nice is that you can use any type of house hold detergent such as a Simple Green or a 409 cleaner.

Both SynthaFlow (Oiled) and SynthaMax (NON-Oiled) Premium Air filters are Proudly Made In The USA and Feature our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

Thanks,
David

Thanks for the response David. A couple follow ups to that. Clarify the myth....I have used the non-oiled FRPP blue filters because I was worried about over oiling the K&N red and fouling the MAF sensor. Is that just a myth?

The second item is service cycle. I assume 30-50k is just street use as it seems like I had to clean more like every 5k on cars I track.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hi David:

Does the intake come with a block-off plate or grommet for the firewall hole where the sound tube goes? Seems this hole would be pointless once your CAI is installed.

If there is a restricter plate built in , how can this be any better than what's on the car? I don't understand how it can make 19 more horsepower with a restricter plate in place. Anybody have any ideas.

If one has the funds, it looks very cool. Personally, I'm just sticking to the factory cold air box and filters - reasonably efficient, relatively cheap to replace and easy to maintain.

daddyfixer said:
David, I can't tell in the picture of the cai, but does it still connect to the Boss cold air duct from the bottom?

Hello daddyfixer,

Yes the AIRAID incorporates the factory cold air feed.

Thanks,
David

cloud9 said:
Thanks for the response David. A couple follow ups to that. Clarify the myth....I have used the non-oiled FRPP blue filters because I was worried about over oiling the K&N red and fouling the MAF sensor. Is that just a myth?

The second item is service cycle. I assume 30-50k is just street use as it seems like I had to clean more like every 5k on cars I track.

Hello cloud9,

The Oil contamination Myth has gotten so big because of dealerships, and it's an easy way out of warranty work if the consumer is not educated on the laws. If there are concerns, I would just recommend using the NON-Oiled Filter.

The 30-50K is for street use, and of course environment will play a big roll in that. Unless your in the sand dunes, you should not be cleaning the filter every 5K. Rules of thumb is when you cant see any Red on the filter anymore is when it's time to clean it, however you never want to over clean the filter as that will present many problems in itself.

There is a fine line, but a dirty Cotton/Gauze filter will actually Filter out better than a clean one. That is why you can go longer between servicing.

you are also welcome to call me direct with any more specific filter or cleaning questions.

Thanks,
David

1-800-498-6951 Ext. 712

ArizonaGT said:
Hi David:

Does the intake come with a block-off plate or grommet for the firewall hole where the sound tube goes? Seems this hole would be pointless once your CAI is installed.

Hello ArizonaGT,

We supply the part's to cap of the sound resonator tube. It's all included in the kit.

1BadBoss said:
If there is a restricter plate built in , how can this be any better than what's on the car? I don't understand how it can make 19 more horsepower with a restricter plate in place. Anybody have any ideas.

Hello 1BadBoss,

Well the first mis-conception here is that you’re calling it a “Restrictor plate”. There is no restriction in the tube. What we have is called MVT Technology and in it’s in place to allow for proper MAF Functionality and Proper A/F Ratios.

Making power is all about Airflow Dynamics and having the proper MAF functionality.

The MVT allows the system to be installed w/o any aftermarket tuning. When you modify the car to the point of needing a complete custom tube ( Cylinder heads, camshaft, forced induction) then you can remove the MVT which opens up the tube for increased airflow and allows the intake to grow with the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors