The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AIRAID CF Intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Very anxious to see the results!! If possible, please ask the dyno operator to begin the runs around 1700 RPM. I'm very interested in any torque gains from about 2000 to 3500 RPM with the red key.
Also very interested in your 98 octane results. Will you need to drive the car for a while with 98 for the computer to adjust spark advance?

I'll be "driving" during the dyno, so I can try and start around 1750. I usually start at 2000. TBH, anything below 3000rpm is pretty much useless on the track, though. If you're under 3000, you should be downshifting.

Regarding the gas: perhaps. All I'm planning to do is let it idle, and give it a few deep revs. I'll do this a couple times. I don't want to burn any more time or money unstrapping it, driving around, then coming back and re-strapping.

I'm going to record ECT during the pulls as well so I can try to start each one around the same ECT.
Great ideas! I am interested in the low RPM torque partly because that was rumored to be one of the positive effects of trackey. But, mostly because I plan to drag race the car on street tires. Thus far that has required very low RPM launches (down in the 2000 ish range) so some extra torque down there will really help me in first gear.
Anxiously awaiting your results!
-- Jim

David@AIRAID said:
5 DOT 0 said:
David, how's the testing going on the Boss 302 with TK?
[/quot]

Hello 5 DOT 0,

We have confirmed that the AIRAID Intake works with the Track Key mod without any drive-ability or calibration issues.

Thanks,
David
David, what were the results with the trackey, any increases, any dyno results to share?

Will installing this CIA affect the Warranty? It seems as if Ford doesn't want us to do anything to the engine otherwise we might get dinged if we need a warranty repair. I would like to buy this CIA but after I read the "Ford TSB 11-7-7" I decided I would post here first and see if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks, didn't read through all 60+ post for an answer but I did search for the tsb# but nothing came up.

Having some concerns about this thread and the inability thus far for anyone to see anything near the claimed 19HP gains. Admittedly, the CAI in CF is an attractive piece but I sure would like to see some positive, independent results.

nota4re said:
Having some concerns about this thread and the inability thus far for anyone to see anything near the claimed 19HP gains. Admittedly, the CAI in CF is an attractive piece but I sure would like to see some positive, independent results.
I'm anxious for some results as well. I did see Drew post 5-7 hp gains by switching to the K&N drop-in filter, which implies some gains available for increased airflow. For now, I ordered that filter, if nothing else to alleviate changing my paper filter every month due to track use.

jec246

Re: K&N Drop in filter

BOSS1289 said:
Was there a posting with the part number for the K&N Filter? Thanks!

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/frpp-part-number-m-9601-mgt-kn-filter-for-use-with-trackey/15/

racered302 said:
Will installing this CIA affect the Warranty? It seems as if Ford doesn't want us to do anything to the engine otherwise we might get dinged if we need a warranty repair. I would like to buy this CIA but after I read the "Ford TSB 11-7-7" I decided I would post here first and see if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks, didn't read through all 60+ post for an answer but I did search for the tsb# but nothing came up.

Hello racered302,

Aftermarket performance part's such as a CAI, dp not void the manufacture warranty and there is a Federal Law that prevents that.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#Magnuson-Moss

Thanks,
David

nota4re said:

Hello nota4re,

Just curious, Who are all these people that you are referring to?

I saw one gentleman talk a Dyno run and the procedure was done completely backwards, so NO, no real gains were shown. So short of that, I am not sure who you are referring to.

Thanks,
David

I just paid $64 including tax for the K&N 33-2431 at Oreily's. I highly doubt you'll find this filter for $45 as suggested by the link. I removed the quad restrictor plates and I gotta say, the butt dyno says it's a bit snappier for sure. Really about all I want to do to the Boss for now. Love the sound too.

1BadBoss said:
David@AIRAID said:
5 DOT 0 said:
David, how's the testing going on the Boss 302 with TK?
[/quot]

Hello 5 DOT 0,

We have confirmed that the AIRAID Intake works with the Track Key mod without any drive-ability or calibration issues.

Thanks,
David
David, what were the results with the trackey, any increases, any dyno results to share?

Hello,

There was no noticeable difference with or w/o Track Key as far as Dyno results show. Now driving the car, there was a difference that could be felt, but nothing noticeable on the chassis Dyno.

450-174dyno-1.png

Thanks,
David

I'll go with just a K&N filter and be done with it, mostly because it is re-usable, not for the 2 to maybe 3 HP that you would gain from it.

I've never seen just a CAI that gives 19HP in the real world, I would love to see an independent dyno run.

Good luck with anyone going with it. Post your dyno sheet and video.

Question:
With installing a CAI and exhaust, does the PCM need to be reset to re-learn the new air/fuel curve and if it does then what is the propper procedure?

David, our Boss's have a sound tube that connects to the firewall on the stock intake, any reason you designed your's without this hookup. Looks like it was designed with the GT in mind. I would be interested in getting it if it was a direct hookup to all the stock connections.

1BadBoss said:
David, our Boss's have a sound tube that connects to the firewall on the stock intake, any reason you designed your's without this hookup. Looks like it was designed with the GT in mind. I would be interested in getting it if it was a direct hookup to all the stock connections.
The sound tube on our Bosses is a carryover from the GT and Airaid deleted it on purpose. Personally I won't miss it. ;)

BadBoss1930 said:
Question:
With installing a CAI and exhaust, does the PCM need to be reset to re-learn the new air/fuel curve and if it does then what is the propper procedure?

You don't have to reset it, it will relearn your driving habits and A/F overtime. If you decide to reset it, it will relearn it quicker, but you will also store a P1000 code in the PCM. This is not a problem and will go away after a number of cycles, but if you need service it will give Ford a reason to take a closer look at your car.

MrGT5oh said:
BadBoss1930 said:
Question:

You don't have to reset it, it will relearn your driving habits and A/F overtime. If you decide to reset it, it will relearn it quicker, but you will also store a P1000 code in the PCM. This is not a problem and will go away after a number of cycles, but if you need service it will give Ford a reason to take a closer look at your car.

Reset = + and - battery cable disconnect?

BadBoss1930 said:
I just paid $64 including tax for the K&N 33-2431 at Oreily's. I highly doubt you'll find this filter for $45 as suggested by the link. I removed the quad restrictor plates and I gotta say, the butt dyno says it's a bit snappier for sure. Really about all I want to do to the Boss for now. Love the sound too.

Hopefully this will encourage you just a wee bit to search for better deals..... ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-33-2431-Washable-High-Flow-Air-Filter-/320791813758?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab0ae9e7e

BadBoss1930 said:
MrGT5oh said:
BadBoss1930 said:
Question:

Reset = + and - battery cable disconnect?

Personally I wouldn't bother disconnecting the battery cable, but if you do, To clear the KAM, disconnect the battery negative terminal for five minutes or more (preferably 15 minutes). You can then simply drive the car like it is intended to be driven through a couple drive and heat cycles. e.g. aggressive or light footed.

The prefered way is to have a tuner or scanner reset the PCM and again drive it through a couple drive and heat cycles.

Both ways of resetting the PCM shoud cause a P1000 code to be present but it will go away with a couple drive and heat cycles.

I don't recall the exact peramiter needed to complete a drive and heat cycle but take it for nice drive somewhere and everything should be fine provided that you turn the car off and let it cool down a couple times.

Again I stress that you need to drive it how you would like the computer to learn. It is based on driving style and driving conditions which affect A/F ratio and timing. e.g. altitude and load

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel