The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Airaid PJ CF CAI & 84.5 MM FRPP TB COMBO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had my 84.5 FRPP TB for awhile now and I finally got my Airaid CF CAI. I went back to review the thread on this combination before I do the install and now I have a couple of concerns after seeing some of the comments about running lean at WOT with the Red Key. I drive with the Red Key exclusively but do not track the car...either road or drag strip and rarely do sustained WOT runs for any considerable length of time...more around town and going to shows. My question to the forum members who currently have or have run this combination is...do any of you see any major concerns running this set up under these conditions without a tune?

Thanks for the follow up to my question. Coming from one of the experts here on the forum your information and results make me feel more comfortable with this combination going forward.

Seeing and reading your previous posts and knowing that you track your car and run it much harder than I do and have not had an issue with this combination is reassuring!

I have this setup also.I run open track and that is no place
to be anywhere near lean.I was going to dyno my car to be sure it's
safe but decided on an Aeroforce Interceptor instead to monitor AF ratio.
From all my testing the AF pulls down to about 12:1 or about .82 Lambda.
I usually set my gauge to Lambda because of different amounts of
ethanol that gas contains.Absolutely safe on my car.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I will throw this out there, but your expierence may vary. I had this setup and had multiple limp mode issues at WOT on the track (ask AZBoss how much fun I had at Laguna Seca last summer!). I have a tune from AED so spoke to Shaun and he said it was the TB causing my problem. I also spoke to Patrick at Watson Racing and he told me there are known problems with these TB's but not all will have the same experience I did. As Rick mentioned above his works well. I went back to the stock TB and have not had a problem since.

Thanks Tuscon302. When you spoke with Patrick at Watson Racing...did you mean to say he said "There are Known Problems With These TB'S in your response?

Mine leave a lot to be desired as well! Did Patrick elaborate on the "Known Issues" Were you running the Red or Silver Key at the time when you went in to "Limp Mode"

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
BadPony said:
Mine leave a lot to be desired as well! Did Patrick elaborate on the "Known Issues" Were you running the Red or Silver Key at the time when you went in to "Limp Mode"

No he didn't elaborate on the technical reason and I can't find the email Shaun sent me. I've always used the red key, but I beleive since I have an AED tune the car would function the same with either key...i'm not even sure where my silver key is now that I think about it!

I've been using a BBK 90mm Throttle body with the factory air box and KN filter for a year. I only use the red key. I know it's not the same combo you are asking about but it's improved intake airflow with no issues.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Bad Pony:

I've been thinking about some of the same questions you have asked here too. I have a 2012 Boss 302 and run the OEM tunes and have TracKey enabled as well.

First, I installed a FRPP 84.5mm TB and ran this with the OEM CAI system with a FRPP K&N air filter. This set up ran great, no CEL no limp mode, etc. I wasn't concerned about a special tune as it's made by Accufab and their branded unit came pre-calibrated. I spoke with them about this and the Accufab Rep advised they put a lot of time in their R&D and ran good AFR's. Many people run this TB without problems, but there some who have.

I was impressed with the power gains from the June 2014 5.0 magazine Tech article showing improved power over the mid to high RPM ranges with the install of the Airaid PJ CF CAI

So, this winter I installed the Airaid PJ CF CAI with the insert. Unfortunately, due to weather, I've only tested this set-up for a few miles.

Looking around in researching this question, I find the majority of those running this combo are running safe AFR's. I think it is important to run OEM cats using our wide band O2 sensors as well as the intake tube insert.

What did you decide? Will you run this set up?

Let us know your findings,
Thanks,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

I am also running this combo with OEM tune / track key with no issues. I don't track my car so I don't push it too hard. But overall, it's a nice setup, expensive, but nice that I didn't need a tune. Of course, you'll always get the most if you get a custom tune.

For the record I was not so lucky....I did this set up and lasted about 2 days before the CEL came on and it started running rough. Need to calibrate the ECU to use the parts correctly or it'll trip the CEL. Took off the 84.5 TB and put the stock unit back on to solve the problem.

I DD my boss, and drive it like a jerk. But also drive like a normal person when warranted.

Shaun12 said:
For the record I was not so lucky....I did this set up and lasted about 2 days before the CEL came on and it started running rough. Need to calibrate the ECU to use the parts correctly or it'll trip the CEL. Took off the 84.5 TB and put the stock unit back on to solve the problem.

I DD my boss, and drive it like a jerk. But also drive like a normal person when warranted.

The CEL issue seems to be sporadic, not everyone get's this problem with this setup. I've never had a hiccup, CEL, etc while running this TB and intake combo. Couldn't say why some have it and some do not

I have been running this set up for around 3 weeks and the weather has finally cleared enough to get on a fairly regular basis and have yet to have any issues with the TB up to this point. With the sporadic issues that some are having with this TB I guess I will hope for the best.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've had this setup for a year and a half and have had zero issues. No tune, discs removed and Brola ATAKs ABs.
She runs good, she sounds good and throws no codes. There was a relearn process once the battery was rehooked and started the car after the install. Heard a "Klunk" but after that the car began idling normally and has been running great since.
My Dyno sheets on here somewhere...

TMO Supporting Vendors