The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Airbag resistor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, as many folks have done, I put a non OEM track seat in my 2012 s197. Now, I could spend the relatively low smooth of money on resistors from kohr, but I like doing things myself - some call it being stubborn.
Anyways, I cut the plug off my original OEM seat and figured “oh this is easy, solder a 2ohm resistor into it and your done”. Well, I’m a bit puzzled. I put a 2ohm in, and it read low 1’s. I put a 3 ohm in... same result. I put 2 3 ohms in series..... still reading about 1.2-1.3 ohm. I am at a total loss. Has anyone cut one of these open? Is there some weird trickery going on with a secondary circuit in parallel!? I’m getting marginally higher resistance readings then what my meter reads touching prong to prong as if the plug is shorted out. It’s not shorted (from my doing anyways) and I have triple checked my revisited prior to soldering. What exactly is happening!?! It’s driving me nuts.

Also, relates topic, but how on earth does the seat position sensor work? What is it sensing exactly? Seemingly it’s always the same distance from part of the seat slider, so is it just looking for movement of the slider during the impact of the crash? I can’t figure out how it “knows” how close or far you are from the steering wheel, all I can figure is it looking for movement during the impact itself. Anyone know? I just zip tied it to part of my seat base in an attempt to trick the system into thinking things are normal, but I’d like to know what exactly I am tricking...

8388CFC2-1ADC-4E42-AC30-9409275F57CC.jpeg

Well for anyone who finds this in the future and @Scootsmcgreggor this does in fact work just fine. My free multimeter was the issue, it was reading things about 1ohm off, which is a huge issue when you need about 2 ish ohms of resistance for the car to be happy. Fluke multimeter showed up yesterday and had it all fine and happy within about 45 minutes. I used 2x 1.3 ohm resistors and ~2.4 ish is what it read once it was all together. Car is happy with that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel