The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 AJ Hartman Aero's GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its crunch time to get ready for the wind tunnel with this car. I think we have 38 runs planned? But anyway, like all my wind tunnel stuff, I'll post the video when we go. If you want to get caught up on previous wind tunnel stuff, heres the link. While getting parts on the car I thought this side by side was pretty cool. All our CFD was done by JKF Aero, better known as Kyle.Engineers on youtube, who worked at Mercedes F1 for a few years. We will be getting baseline runs on the car with the factory GT350R aero, and then working through our list testing all sorts of parts and setups. We will only be doing our single element wings this trip since we will only be testing our "small" splitter option at the moment.

Untitled design.png

I may have missed it, but are you designing these pieces around a class specific rule set?
Yes. We had some criteria during the design phase that centered around NASA's American Iron rules, which would also fit in GTA's Street class and GridLifes Street Mod classes, and we also had stuff to fit in the much more broad NASA's ST class rules as well. Since we make all the parts in house, we can customize stuff to an extent to fit in other classes as well.

TX
Its crunch time to get ready for the wind tunnel with this car. I think we have 38 runs planned? But anyway, like all my wind tunnel stuff, I'll post the video when we go. If you want to get caught up on previous wind tunnel stuff, heres the link. While getting parts on the car I thought this side by side was pretty cool. All our CFD was done by JKF Aero, better known as Kyle.Engineers on youtube, who worked at Mercedes F1 for a few years. We will be getting baseline runs on the car with the factory GT350R aero, and then working through our list testing all sorts of parts and setups. We will only be doing our single element wings this trip since we will only be testing our "small" splitter option at the moment.

View attachment 70445
So pumped for all this!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
ca
Fantastic video as always, the Canard is impressive DF gain with the splitter! Do you have a estimate DF/ DRAG number for the Canard alone without the splitter. I understand there is many variable and there is no way you will take off the splitter to run the tunnel.
The reason I am asking I don't plan to run big rear wing or the big splitter. I am daily driving a gt350. Just added DF for Canard and gt350 R wing will be my ideal.
Any idea ? Thanks

Fantastic video as always, the Canard is impressive DF gain with the splitter! Do you have a estimate DF/ DRAG number for the Canard alone without the splitter. I understand there is many variable and there is no way you will take off the splitter to run the tunnel.
The reason I am asking I don't plan to run big rear wing or the big splitter. I am daily driving a gt350. Just added DF for Canard and gt350 R wing will be my ideal.
Any idea ? Thanks
Canards are in the 4:1 to 6:1 range generally (our small cuts were right about 5.5:1). If you are only doing the GT350R wing, our small cut canards are about all you can do on the front without getting way out of aero balance and being light in the rear. That was the very last run we did in the tunnel and was slightly front biased.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
ca
Canards are in the 4:1 to 6:1 range generally (our small cuts were right about 5.5:1). If you are only doing the GT350R wing, our small cut canards are about all you can do on the front without getting way out of aero balance and being light in the rear. That was the very last run we did in the tunnel and was slightly front biased.
Thanks for speedy reply. I actually plan to just add a Gurney flap on my 2019 gt350. I remember where I read add the Gurney flap 2019 Swing will have more down force than a R wing. Can't find the data anymore. Any thought on the Swing?
Because I daily drive the car, I prefer not to add R splitter. Will Canard perform the same without the R splitter?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
ca
What's thought for the rock guard ? Does it interfere with your Canard/ effect the front aero/ drag ? My rockchip is chewing my paint away !

Thanks for speedy reply. I actually plan to just add a Gurney flap on my 2019 gt350. I remember where I read add the Gurney flap 2019 Swing will have more down force than a R wing. Can't find the data anymore. Any thought on the Swing?
Because I daily drive the car, I prefer not to add R splitter. Will Canard perform the same without the R splitter?
Yeah, the R wing wasn't that great. We tested a 3" spoiler and it wasn't that far off of the R wing in Df and drag. I think the Swing will also be pretty bad compared to what I generally deal with, but for a factory part doesn't seem terrible. The small canards we tested actually made a few extra pounds on the R splitter then they did when added to the car with our splitter. The R splitter is close enough to the base GT350 splitter I'd expect a very similar result.

What's thought for the rock guard ? Does it interfere with your Canard/ effect the front aero/ drag ? My rockchip is chewing my paint away !
Yeah I'd skip those if you are concerned about aero. If you are more concerned about rock chips, then put them on. Up to you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

TMO Supporting Vendors