The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alcantara...What Actually is this Stuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the link. I thought used plastic bottles were part of the ingredients? I have alcantara sofas in my family room and really prefer this for seating material over leather in the home.

I did not realize this materia is proprietary. Wouldn't this suggest that any Alcantara materials would all be made from the same constituent materials? I did not see plastic listed.

Alcantara is used similar to Kleenex but there is only one Alcantara. There are other manufacturers that make a similar product so there are options.
That's what it is. Other manufacturers have similar material formulations out there but real Alcantara is propritary to the Alcantara Company(?). I think Ford has indicated it is using the real thing in some of it's vehicles. I'm thinking Corvette/Camaro is using a similar non-Alcantara material variant in their vehicles.

TMO Supporting Vendors