The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alignment Changes Over Time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I had my car aligned yesterday to get more camber and the "before" settings were off from what I had them set to last time.
Last year, I had an alignment done to these specs
1634737119189.png

Yesterday, these were the "before" settings before they adjusted everything
1634737176895.png
Is it normal for camber and toe to move a bit over time and after several track days or is something else going on here?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I had my car aligned yesterday to get more camber and the "before" settings were off from what I had them set to last time.
View attachment 69454

View attachment 69455
Is it normal for camber and toe to move a bit over time and after several track days or is something else going on here?
It is normal for alignment to move over time. Hitting/jumping kerbs, dropping wheels off track, etc. can cause alignment to change. When I had access to an alignment machine, I used to align my CRX before every HPDE, and it was usually out some.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
It is normal for alignment to move over time. Hitting/jumping kerbs, dropping wheels off track, etc. can cause alignment to change. When I had access to an alignment machine, I used to align my CRX before every HPDE, and it was usually out some.
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. I'll need to find a solid alignment shop who won't mind doing my car repeatedly 😆 or learn to do them myself

sfo
So much depends on the suspension too. Example rubber bushings and cam adjusters vs. solid shims and monoball. When racing we are picky...only align after corner balance, flat floor, at ride height, and 50% fuel load (not 1/2 tank of gas), hot tire pressures.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Are you using camber bolts up front? If so, the camber loss makes sense but it is a little odd they shifted equally. If you have plats then I suspect the rack wasn't accurate the first or second time. The toe will always shift with use, especially track use and sticky tires.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Are you using camber bolts up front? If so, the camber loss makes sense but it is a little odd they shifted equally. If you have plats then I suspect the rack wasn't accurate the first or second time. The toe will always shift with use, especially track use and sticky tires.
No bolts, only plates. I'll have to find a more performance-oriented shop next time

In the V6L
View attachment 69454

View attachment 69455
Well, as much as there's a consensus around things moving, I set my front toe and camber back in 2019 and I've done about 23 or 24 track days since and it hasn't moved.

As for the rear, as I've posted before, you can't set it and assume it's going to stay where it's set. Not because of any movement, but because the bushings load up when the adjustments are done and when they release - in the first fifty feet after the adjustment - the numbers all change. You have to set it, drive it and then read it to see where it's set. It's tedious but it gives you the numbers you're looking for.

So, my vote is that the machine isn't particularly repeatable and the rear settings drifted when the bushings relaxed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel