The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alignment question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 12 BOSS with steeda springs and steeda upper strut mount. I used a caster camber gauge that connects to the wheel to adjust the camber. Cannot get more than -.5 degrees on driver side. Steeda strut mount is installed correctly. Passenger side, I can get -2.0 degrees of camber. Then when I put a yardstick against the tire on the driver side, the top of tire is sunken in from the fender 4 mm like there is major negative camber. Whereas when I put the yardstick against the passenger side, the top of tire is almost even with the outside of the fender, actually like 2mm away from the fender. So according to the yardstick the driver side appears to have major negative camber compared to the pass side, but according to my CC gauge, they both are set at -.5 degrees of camber. This really has me scratching my head to what is going on. Should I just use the fender as a reference point and make them even? I guess its time to take the car to an alignment shop to see what they come up with.

Do you happen to have an iPhone? I checked my camber with a level app and the result was within 1/10 degree of the alignment results.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Are you measuring on a level surface?

I wouldn't use the fender as a reference. Try a level to make the yardstick plumb and measure the distance between the top of the rim or tire bulge vs. the bottom of the rim or tire bulge.

I have the Steeda Boss springs and their upper mounts mine will go to 2.5 easily , you may have to loosen the 2 lower strut bolts , push in on the top of the tire and re tighten them to get some more neg camber. I also rolled the car back and forth (and back to the original position) 5-6 feet just to make sure everything was accurate .

Upon realizing the problem on the driver's side, I removed the strut assembly to check for proper installation. During installation, I pushed the top of the tire inward before tightening the bolts. Got me an extra .25 degrees. Still can't get more than -.75 degrees. I think the suspension is screwed up on the driver side. When I bought the car used last year, the driver side front wheel had some severe road rash. Observing the suspension with novice eyes, nothing bent or tweaked stands out. I know I could just install a CC bolt on the driver side to get the proper camber, but I would rather fix the problem.

Some of the guys have complained about the boss springs hitting the strut tower , is your mount going all the way inward ?. I've also noticed the metal on the bottom of the tower was not smooth , Steeda posted something about sanding it smooth underneath so the mount slides in and out easy. You've already posted that you have the mounts installed the right way so we can eliminate that.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
unit5alive said:
Some of the guys have complained about the boss springs hitting the strut tower , is your mount going all the way inward ?. I've also noticed the metal on the bottom of the tower was not smooth , Steeda posted something about sanding it smooth underneath so the mount slides in and out easy. You've already posted that you have the mounts installed the right way so we can eliminate that.

Been curious about this too. What CC plates are you using? I have MM plates and can clearly see that the camber is at maximum travel.

TMO Supporting Vendors