The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

All New 2013 Owners Read!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If it is damage caused by the dealer, Ford will not cover it even if it is reported when you pick it up. You will have to get the dealer to cover it, though you might be able to get Ford to lean on them a bit. My dealer put a ding in the bumper I noticed when the sun finally came out and I was able to wash the car (had touch up paint so I know it wasn't me, and it was a really bad touch up job), as well as paint scraped off the pinch welds from being lifted in the middle and slight deformity from same lifting. Ford said go talk to the dealer. Just FYI. Though when I called Ford customer service (same call about those things) I also told them about the black pits in the fender and they immediately told me it would be covered and set up an appointment at a local dealer for me. This was a couple weeks after I bought it, as it was raining and nasty for a couple weeks. I told Ford CS when I bought the car and they didn't care, as long as it was something that happened before it got to the dealer.

Now how they determine if it happened on the way to the dealer or on the lot, I don't know. I'm guessing defects vs. damage.

You also need to weigh the imperfection against the repair. In may case, a grabber blue car, I found a few paint issues that were noted BEFORE I even bought the car. Ford wanted the dealer to repaint the driver's side door, and the entire passenger rear panel. This meant it also had to be blended with the adjoining body panels and would mean replacement of a number of stripes. In the end I was risking some pretty BIG issues and a car that would now, to a trained eye, looked repaired. Given it's a car, and is going to get chips and issues just from driving, I've decided to forget it and asked for a bottle of grabber blue touch-up paint. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease! IMHO!

JeffIsHereToo said:
You also need to weigh the imperfection against the repair. In may case, a grabber blue car, I found a few paint issues that were noted BEFORE I even bought the car. Ford wanted the dealer to repaint the driver's side door, and the entire passenger rear panel. This meant it also had to be blended with the adjoining body panels and would mean replacement of a number of stripes. In the end I was risking some pretty BIG issues and a car that would now, to a trained eye, looked repaired. Given it's a car, and is going to get chips and issues just from driving, I've decided to forget it and asked for a bottle of grabber blue touch-up paint. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease! IMHO!

My dealer definitely was not as detail oriented unfortunately but I found a good amount of imperfections in the paint, but I am thinking the same thing as you...Its just not worth it.

I never knew I only had a week to note these flaws, thankfully I told my dealer about the bubbles in the stripes on the hood right away.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
That has to be the #1 concern regarding the tri-coat metallic paint, the YB from last year and GHIG this year. "What happens when you need repair or touch up?" Pretty big risk, and if it came from the factory with imperfections, I'd be tempted to refuse delivery of the car as it's practically impossible to respray these finishes post-factory and have it match the rest of the car.

The imperfections I found were just small specs of dust in the paint. They are few and far between and I can barely find them if I'm looking for them. I feel that if it is possible for this to happen on my car, it seems logical to assume it is the same case on all, or most, of the cars getting painted in that location. Therefore if I refused this one, I'd just never have the fun of a Boss.

Now, the small chip in the rear bumper that I apparently missed in my hour long inspection at the dealer is killing me.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Is it dust embedded w/in the paint finish or rail dust from the train ride from Flat Rock?

JeffIsHereToo said:

Same as what I was thinking, they wanted to respray the fender and I found more issues with the hood and the chip in the bumper (bumper was dealer not Ford) but I figure it is not as bad as a poor paint repair. Mine is dust (or something black, I think it is overspray from something else) in the paint.

88saleen544, where was the chip? If it is the same as mine, maybe it was Ford not the dealer

CaliMR said:
88saleen544, where was the chip? If it is the same as mine, maybe it was Ford not the dealer

It is on driver side on the top edge of the bumper where the vertical portion of the bumper begins.

ace72ace said:
Is it dust embedded w/in the paint finish or rail dust from the train ride from Flat Rock?

It is actually in the paint.

88saleen544 said:
The imperfections I found were just small specs of dust in the paint. They are few and far between and I can barely find them if I'm looking for them. I feel that if it is possible for this to happen on my car, it seems logical to assume it is the same case on all, or most, of the cars getting painted in that location. Therefore if I refused this one, I'd just never have the fun of a Boss.

Now, the small chip in the rear bumper that I apparently missed in my hour long inspection at the dealer is killing me.

Yeah...mine are easy to miss and no one saw them but me...and I'm just not normal about these things. The chip I have on the door is about the size of a pin head. For that they were going to paint the entire door and re-stripe. I decide NOT! I used a toothpick and some paint and filled in slowly in so not to create a bubble. Then used a clearcoat stick to seal it. I can't even see it now and I'm not worried someone one day will say "how bad was the accident" looking at my ever so slightly off-color door.

Again, if I was driving and a rock got thrown and made that chip there's no way I would go to the cost of repainting the door etc., so why bother now only to risk ending up with something far worse.

Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel