The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alloy vs Steel for Moroso oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
on a MT82 it definitely seemed to help prevent the shifts from getting scratchy about 20 minutes in, synchro behavior was always an issue with the recommended fluids once they got hot. I don't run one on the magnum (as it has a cooling loop)

However for race duty on MT82 the thicker fluid options (from OPM or "the calimer mix" - latter I'm less a fan of) and the scoop did make a noticable difference, but I'll admit I was never happy with how that setup shifted, and I tried all sorts of shifters and parts.
I just read an article that says Tremec recommends ONLY Dextron3 ATF in the Magnum.
I had Amzoil in my wide ratio magnum and it shifted fine, my new Close ratio Magnum will have ATF so we'll see how that goes.
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/are-you-using-the-correct-fluid-in-your-tremec-transmission/

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
on magnum (and I didn't realize my shot of the bent pan above had the magnum), I had the following experiences with fluid:

Mobil1 ATF - D3 fluid - Way too thin when its hot, @BillyJRacing (Billy Johnson) recommended it as it was what was ran in the IMSA cars
With a cooler its better, but still warmer races I felt that it wore down the synchronizer rings more quickly than other options

Currently in the magnum is the BG (from OPM of course):
BG Products Multi-Gear Concentrate - MGC
BG Products Syncro Shift II Synthetic Gear Oil 75W80 API GL4 (which isn't a D3 fluid) - " BG Syncro Shift® II may be effectively used in all domestic and foreign vehicles where engine oil, ATF or GL-4 gear oil is specified as “service fill” for manual transmissions. Also suitable for use where GM PN 12345349 (specification 9985648) FORD PN D80Z19C547A, PN ESRY19C547A and MERCEDES-BENZ PN 900260315 are specified. "

This fluid works much better for me, slight increase in shift effort when its cold, but usually by the end of the warmup lap that's over and done with. Much better protection and shifting characteristics it seems even when hot, especially when the idiot driver forgets to turn on the transmission cooler (plumbing an automated circuit for that soon). My magnumXL is setup with a number of brass and carbon parts, not many organic lining parts in it so that may impact fluid selections for some. (I believe most magnums are that way but a TR6060 might be pickier about fluids)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
on magnum (and I didn't realize my shot of the bent pan above had the magnum), I had the following experiences with fluid:

Mobil1 ATF - D3 fluid - Way too thin when its hot, @BillyJRacing (Billy Johnson) recommended it as it was what was ran in the IMSA cars
With a cooler its better, but still warmer races I felt that it wore down the synchronizer rings more quickly than other options

Currently in the magnum is the BG (from OPM of course):
BG Products Multi-Gear Concentrate - MGC
BG Products Syncro Shift II Synthetic Gear Oil 75W80 API GL4 (which isn't a D3 fluid) - " BG Syncro Shift® II may be effectively used in all domestic and foreign vehicles where engine oil, ATF or GL-4 gear oil is specified as “service fill” for manual transmissions. Also suitable for use where GM PN 12345349 (specification 9985648) FORD PN D80Z19C547A, PN ESRY19C547A and MERCEDES-BENZ PN 900260315 are specified. "

This fluid works much better for me, slight increase in shift effort when its cold, but usually by the end of the warmup lap that's over and done with. Much better protection and shifting characteristics it seems even when hot, especially when the idiot driver forgets to turn on the transmission cooler (plumbing an automated circuit for that soon). My magnumXL is setup with a number of brass and carbon parts, not many organic lining parts in it so that may impact fluid selections for some. (I believe most magnums are that way but a TR6060 might be pickier about fluids)
Always a wealth of knowledge from you. Thank you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
steel...….....IMO
Agreed, much more rugged and easier to repair in a pinch.
Also, once something aluminum gets hot oil in its pores it can sometimes be very difficult to repair even on the bench.
The heat from welding pops the little inclusions in the aluminum that can sometimes contain oil that has become impregnated in its pores. This is more of an issue with parts that are cast, Like transmission cases, but depending on the mill run it can happen to sheet materials too. Just food for thought.

TMO Supporting Vendors