The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alloy vs Steel for Moroso oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
After recent track adventures wanted to get a Moroso oil pan to improve the oil system. Was thinking steel would be stronger, But aluminum would be lighter and help lower temperatures....
Any thoughts???

Last edited:
Have you considered the Boss 302S pan? It has little more capacity and you loose 0 ground clearance. It is a bit pricey but this is not something you will be buying twice....

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I have both. The aluminum one is lighter, but its not the end of the world in weight difference. They're both seemingly strong.

IMG_1138.jpg

In regards to the duct versus pan, I've hit one against the steel pan riding some curbing I shouldn't have:

IMG_0236.jpg

The pan won, but I will admit field-welding a steel pan is easier than an aluminum one depending on who you keep for company at track events.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but the steel one is a huge value at its sub-$300 price point. I run it right now, but the aluminum one will eventually go on a yet-unknown spare motor for my racecar.

You might highly consider a steel pan over an aluminum one.
Besides sliding over concrete curbing better (if you track long enough it will happen) it is less likely to gouge out and leak.
No matter how little, this might be one place where you do not want to try and save weight.
Been over curbing and very glad mine was steel. Just sayin'.....

Not to hijack but Summit is really good with regards to custome service. Keep in mind, they will beat competitors pricing by $1.00....

My steel Moroso pan crack at Laguna Seca a couple of years back. It was a hair line fracture about 3 inches long where the stump drops down in the front. I replaced with the aluminum one and never looked back.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks, My K member is a little skewed to one side anyways.... about 1.5mm. Be a good time to take care of that. Must have shifted after one of my off road adventures.....

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I just got the steel one as my OEM one already scraped.

I am curious though about what ports you used for what sensors. I also got an oil cooler sandwich plate with two extra ports as well.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
While the steel pan may weigh more, it's literally one of the lowest points on the car, so much less impact on handling than weight up high.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I have both. The aluminum one is lighter, but its not the end of the world in weight difference. They're both seemingly strong.

View attachment 4073

In regards to the duct versus pan, I've hit one against the steel pan riding some curbing I shouldn't have:

View attachment 4072

The pan won, but I will admit field-welding a steel pan is easier than an aluminum one depending on who you keep for company at track events.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but the steel one is a huge value at its sub-$300 price point. I run it right now, but the aluminum one will eventually go on a yet-unknown spare motor for my racecar.
So how effective/necessary is that trans scoop for short sprint races...say 30 min?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
on a MT82 it definitely seemed to help prevent the shifts from getting scratchy about 20 minutes in, synchro behavior was always an issue with the recommended fluids once they got hot. I don't run one on the magnum (as it has a cooling loop)

However for race duty on MT82 the thicker fluid options (from OPM or "the calimer mix" - latter I'm less a fan of) and the scoop did make a noticable difference, but I'll admit I was never happy with how that setup shifted, and I tried all sorts of shifters and parts.

TMO Supporting Vendors