The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aluminum Driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Does anyone have experience with the Steeda Aluminum Driveshaft? I am looking at getting myself one as a Christmas present :) With the Black Friday 20% discount seems like a pretty good deal (about $600). My car is in Germany and cruising on the Autobahn usually involves speeds above 100mph. My only concern is developing a vibration going to a one piece aluminum driveshaft. Any experience, feedback, or other recommendations would be helpful, thank you. Below is a link the driveshaft.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-aluminum-driveshafts.html

The only experience I've had was with the DSS one piece. They are around $749 normally but lethal is having a sale which should get you down in the $680 range. It would be worth the $80 difference to me for the peace of mind.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/driveline/driveshafts-and-loops/driveshafts/dss/dss-2011-mustang-gt-3-5-1000hp-aluminum-driveshaft-manual.html

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I also have the DSS shaft, 100% satifsfied, got mine on Memorial day sale this past year. Read the write up on their web page about their build process and balancing, sounds state of the art to me. Just the ticket for high speed smoothness.

IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
ace72ace said:
I also have the DSS shaft, 100% satifsfied, got mine on Memorial day sale this past year. Read the write up on their web page about their build process and balancing, sounds state of the art to me. Just the ticket for high speed smoothness.

IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg

I have read the write up and I am leaning toward the DSS product. Does anyone know if they are doing any black Friday sales?

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
I have run DSS aluminum shaft for 12000 total and 2000 track miles. No vibrations or clunks or noise. High quality piece with constant velocity joint at the rear which is the key to high speed performance. Saves about 20 lbs of weight too.
Steve

Steve, did you have to modify the pinion angle any?

I bought the dynotech and have no issues but I warn if you know nothing of pinion angle then buy the dss I have to adjust the pinion angle as any usual driveshaft install but I have herd you do not have to on the dss? I have zero vibration at all speeds.

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
I bought the dynotech and have no issues but I warn if you know nothing of pinion angle then buy the dss I have to adjust the pinion angle as any usual driveshaft install but I have herd you do not have to on the dss? I have zero vibration at all speeds.

Wouldn't this depend if the car is on lowered springs though? My guess is if you modified the suspension geometry and go to a one-piece DS, you "may" have to adjust the pinion angle. Would make sense.

I also use the DSS. I have the lowered (1") springs, no adjustments to pinion angle, and have had zero vibrations after several track days. I liked the CV joint option as best. 100% satisfied and recommend. ;D

DD GT3 RD said:
What's the benefit of this mod? What's it do better than the stock one?
I may be incorrect, so someone please let me know if I am, but I believe the biggest benefit is the fact that the driveshaft can spin faster. Higher RPM's for longer. This helps when you raise your rev limiter and for the high speed tracks. If I recall, there was an '11 or '12 V6 Mustang that was going pretty fast and his driveshaft let go. There is a youtube video on it. Another benefit is the lost weight.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
DD GT3 RD said:
What's the benefit of this mod? What's it do better than the stock one?

Lighter by 20+ lbs, less noise and clunking than stock, stronger with less chance of failure at high speed, less rotationalmass means less driveline parasitic loss and theoretically quicker acceleration due to less moment of inertia.
Steve

I did the DSS driveshaft and an MGW shifter a month ago.I'm very happy with both parts.My car always had a very slight vibration that the driveshaft took completely away.
The shifter was a huge improvement also.I'm very happy with both!
Guy

darreng505 said:
jeepinocala said:

Wouldn't this depend if the car is on lowered springs though? My guess is if you modified the suspension geometry and go to a one-piece DS, you "may" have to adjust the pinion angle. Would make sense.

Correct.

TMO Supporting Vendors