The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aluminum Pan for 10 speed transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
PML is coming out with two aluminum pans for the ten speed auto trans. Looks like truck or Mustang with standard or deep sump.

sfo
They have been coming out with those pans for a couple years now. Very very slow to develop. I was one of the guys sending them early data. I think they are in almost in beta for the F150 pan but not for the S550 pan. I hope to beta the S550 pan on my racecar. We will see if that ever happens before I'm off racing something else.

They have been coming out with those pans for a couple years now. Very very slow to develop. I was one of the guys sending them early data. I think they are in almost in beta for the F150 pan but not for the S550 pan. I hope to beta the S550 pan on my racecar. We will see if that ever happens before I'm off racing something else.

indeed!!! Like seriously, what is taking soooooooo looooonnng? I'd be buying it in a heartbeat.

sfo
I contacted them a few months ago...still no progress...still waiting.

The pan/trans case on the GM cars is way better thought out than on the mustang. Likely costs drive Ford decisions. I have found GM less cheap or less willing to let beancounters rule every decision.

Actually, the same 10 speed trans (or it's close cousin) in the Camaro also has heat issues and is only good for a few laps before the overheat light comes on and it goes into limp mode. I think the big issue with the Camaro is ground clearance, maybe the same with the Mustang.
I can't remember the thread but this was hashed out awhile back, pretty thoroughly, seems there's only so much room under these cars.

sfo
Actually, the same 10 speed trans (or it's close cousin) in the Camaro also has heat issues and is only good for a few laps before the overheat light comes on and it goes into limp mode. I think the big issue with the Camaro is ground clearance, maybe the same with the Mustang.
I can't remember the thread but this was hashed out awhile back, pretty thoroughly, seems there's only so much room under these cars.

At T2 speeds I'm not having a problem but I have a giant tranny cooler with thoughtful position to maximize airflow and I have tweeked the fluid viscosity (mixing ULV and LV) which totally did not work for Flyhalf but his new box internals have been played with. I'm not sure what ground clearance has to do with it? The 'maro has a better designed case with plugs that you can tap into to run cooler lines. At this time you are limited by where you can put the cooler lines in the stang and there is a bypass valve thermistor that limits and constricts flow. Flyhalf has just removed this on his car. I don't feel like opening up my tranny to go after this part buried deep in the tranny. You can completely avoid that issue in the 'maro because of the extra access points. With the 'maro you can put whatever cooler you want and leave the stock system intact. With 'maro you can also bypass the Ford/GM restrictive filter that also limits flow. The filter is like 2 phase where there is increased filtering when the oil is got because this oil is lower viscosity and thus can pass a finer mesh. That extra restriction of filter does not help cooling when we try to run larger volume of cooled fluid to the tranny. Bypassing like you can do on the 'maro again leaves on the stock filtering intact. The trans does it's thing as designed and you just keep it cool and the tranny is none the wiser. Sometimes it's a real pain to make streetcars racecars.

TMO Supporting Vendors