The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

American Racing Headers/Catted X-Pipe/GT500 Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Just installed the headers and X-pipe yesterday to go along with my existing GT500 Axle back setup....and while I love doing the writes and how to's on this one...NO WAY.

Positives: Quality, Sound, Power, & Fitment, could not be happier with the setup
Negatives: Install....Let convey this in a different way, INSTALL SUCKS A$s, could not pay me enough to do it again, and I had full lift, and friend help me. We are both very good wrenches and this took every bit of 10 hours to do

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFVU5THT64&feature=share[/youtube]

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have this setup on my car right now. Needed for Lime Rock Park's Draconian 86dB sound check.
For other tracks I remove the cats and install my Corsas. Car sounds great with the GT 500s but it sounds SICK with the cat less Corsas.
You will love the extra 25-30 RWHP too!
Steve

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Thanks man...I see in your signature "Long differential cooler /Tilton pump. I am aware of the Tilton pump and using like a power steering type radiator for the fluid, would be interested in seeing/talking to you about your setup, as that is the way I would like to go eventually. Have the pump kick on when the fluid reaches a certain temp.

j3st3r said:
Just installed the headers and X-pipe yesterday to go along with my existing GT500 Axle back setup....and while I love doing the writes and how to's on this one...NO WAY.

Positives: Quality, Sound, Power, & Fitment, could not be happier with the setup
Negatives: Install....Let convey this in a different way, INSTALL SUCKS A$s, could not pay me enough to do it again, and I had full lift, and friend help me. We are both very good wrenches and this took every bit of 10 hours to do

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFVU5THT64&feature=share[/youtube]

Did you get a CEL even though you installed cats?

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
seca954 said:
Did you get a CEL even though you installed cats?

I absolutely did...after driving for about 30 miles. The codes are the Cat system effiency CEL's(P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) and P04230 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I cleared them, but they did come back. The choices here, to the best of my knowledge, are: to either to turn the rear O2 sensors off in the tune, or to run the anti-foulers in them. I am trying the anti-foulers next week to see how they work.

Anti-fouler part number from AutoZone, Advance, etc is 42002

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
j3st3r said:
I absolutely did...after driving for about 30 miles. The codes are the Cat system effiency CEL's(P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) and P04230 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I cleared them, but they did come back. The choices here, to the best of my knowledge, are: to either to turn the rear O2 sensors off in the tune, or to run the anti-foulers in them. I am trying the anti-foulers next week to see how they work.

they dont work. double stacked them as well.

j3st3r said:

Thanks for the answer. I'm running cat deletes with anti fowlers. I tried only one, then stacked two, then stacked three. I still get a CEL. One weird thing happened. I was sitting in traffic on a hot day and the CEL turned off. Unfortunately, the CEL came back on. It makes me think there might be another way to trick the O2 sensor that involves heat.

I bought a set of these. Haven't tried them… Bought them for another Ford that doesn't have the new style O2 sensors.. Will install after we get rid of the snow. If it works on that car , I may buy the LTH. Due to my location and state requirements, installing the LTH just to get a CEL, would not be any fun.
Have though about the double green CAT's per bank that Cooltech used on there Kooks setup.

This may be an option to try since it has the material to covert the exhaust gas…just a thought..

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Not sure the life expectancy of these, that would be another concern.
Maybe someone else has tried these.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Really happy with this setup so far...here are some video I shot last weekend cruising around
[youtube]http://youtu.be/gZRf_SWF1G0[/youtube]

Resurrecting this thread on the P0420 and P0430 Codes. Does anyone know if these codes causes any engine performance issues besides the CEL coming on? I'm just as happy to clear the code every time it comes on, as long as I don't see any limp modes when they do come on.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
wwilde001 said:
Resurrecting this thread on the P0420 and P0430 Codes. Does anyone know if these codes causes any engine performance issues besides the CEL coming on? I'm just as happy to clear the code every time it comes on, as long as I don't see any limp modes when they do come on.

Never had any issues with performance, or going into limp mode

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I got through a two day track weekend with no light and then I got the CEL about a week after that. Reset with no issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors