The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AMR Drift Style 18x10 Wheels / Square Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know if the AMR 18x10 Drift Style wheels with +48mm offset will fit on the front of our cars (stock suspension)? I see that the SVE Drift 18x10's will fit but they have +43mm offset - I will likely get these if the AMR's won't fit.

Also, I'm switching to a square setup and was wondering what the easiest mod is to correct the anticipated oversteer? I was looking at a the Strano adjustable rear sway bar, which has settings for 162, 185 & 225lbs vs the stock Boss at 250lbs. Would this be a good option to correct the oversteer?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the AMRs would be too close to the strut. Even if they do clear there, I would be worried about how close they would bring the tires to everything else.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
They fit. 2-3 guys are running them.

I plan to run them as well... I also have the 20x10s on the car for the street.

Ironically the AMRs have more brake clearance than stock :)

Thanks for the input guys. I decided after looking at the two syles side by side for a while that I like the AMR's a lot more. I'm going to take the chance with them and if I have to, I'll use 5mm wheel spacers. I'd prefer not to have to use them, but a high quality hub-centric set with such a small width will work fine if need be.

Has anyone used a lighter (less stiff) rear sway bar to eliminate the oversteer of a square setup? Is the 50lb difference in the Strano bar vs the stock bar a good start?

Seven

Dacia Sandero
KBBOSS1086 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I decided after looking at the two syles side by side for a while that I like the AMR's a lot more. I'm going to take the chance with them and if I have to, I'll use 5mm wheel spacers. I'd prefer not to have to use them, but a high quality hub-centric set with such a small width will work fine if need be.

Has anyone used a lighter (less stiff) rear sway bar to eliminate the oversteer of a square setup? Is the 50lb difference in the Strano bar vs the stock bar a good start?

Square setup should give more understeer as you have more grip up front, not oversteer.

isrboss

I have the Strano rear bar ordered( he is out of stock). I decided to go with a adj. front bar as well that steps it back down to the 2005-2010 385-580ishlbs/in. If the rear bar doesn't get it done for you, just add a stiffer front as well.

KBBOSS1086 said:

I was worried about my square setup with 18x10's and 285's all around but it turned out to be very neutral.

drano38

Wayne
I have Strano's adjustable front/rear set for square, and they work well with factory struts/springs.
Several of us are doing this setup.
I think both are full stiff, but I haven't been under the car since snow flew (and thats been a loooong time).

Seven said:
Then I mis-heard Strano when I talked to him, or you're calling him wrong?

Nobody is calling him wrong, no need to start a flame thread. The fact is the square setup will cause more over steer, I think if you look up the facts about this you will understand it better.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Seven said:
Then I mis-heard Strano when I talked to him, or you're calling him wrong?

I don't know what you discussed with him, but I can only infer that you misunderstood him. Sam is well known and knows his stuff. But I know that added grip up front would be toward the tendency to oversteer, not vice versa.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
YellowBoss said:
Nobody is calling him wrong, no need to start a flame thread. The fact is the square setup will cause more over steer, I think if you look up the facts about this you will understand it better.
Not starting a flame war (not even sure how that got brought up, it's a little quick to judge)... I did say I could have mis-heard him, and I legitimately meant it. It was like 6-8 weeks ago.

on a small tangent, my posts are to be taken at face value, not sarcasm or ill will meant unless I PERSONALLY know the user (which there's only 1 of and he knows who he is) and even then its only kind joking.

*edit* and also, in case it's being misunderstood... I LIKE Sam. I worked with him on my FR-S and on my C5 before. He was MY FIRST CALL when I bought the Boss. I was truly wondering whether I mis-heard or someone was saying he was wrong.

Update - I received the 18x10 AMR's and had my new hoosier 295/40/18's mounted. They clear the caliper fine but rub the strut and sway bar link bolt. I read that you get some additinal clearance when you let hte car down but I do not think it will be enough (unlesss it's like a 1/2 inch). I'm in the process of cutting the bolt down but have to run to the store to get new disc. I think they would fit fine with a 285 tire but I'm definintely going to need a spacer unitl I use up the supply of 295's I bought from Hossier. I plan to switch to the 275 Continental ECD's later in the year so the spacers will only be temporary.

I will re-post once I've cut the bolt down and let the car down. Initial thoughts though, is that the 295/40/18 will fill the fender well nicely and look good.

The AMR 18x10's do not fit the front even with the sway bark link bolt trimmed. They are tight against the strut without any spacers. I mocked up some different spacing using washers and measured everything using a micrometer. With 1/4" (or 6.5mm) spacer there's between 2-3mm between the tire and the strut (I didn't have room to take an exact measurement). I suppuse this would differ for everyone based on their camber settings - I happen to be at -2.25 degrees, but I can't see them fitting with 295/40/18's even at 0.00 degrees of camber without some sort of wheel spacer.

Am I correct in thinking that 2-3mm space is not enough? The sidewalls on these tires are not that low ans I would expect them to flex a little. I could be wrong but I'd like to see at least 5mm clearance between the strut and the sidewall.

If that's the case then pacers over 1/4" are needed until I use up these tires or get a set of offset struts or different wheels. My dilema now is that the smallest hubcentric spacer I can find is 15mm, which will likely set the tire outside the fender well andmay casue the tire to hit the fender under heavy breaking. Should I be concerned about this?

The other option is to go with a 3/8" (roughly 9.7mm) spacer. That would give me 5-6mm clearance between the strut and the sidewall ( i coule be wrong but that seems like enough). The problem with this is that the stock center of the hub is only 12mm deep, which would leave me with just over 2mm left to center the rim after the spacer is installed.

Given the info above, what would everyone recommend? Is a 1/4" spacer with 2-3mm of room between the tire and strut enough? Should I go with 3/8" non-hubcentric spacer, leaving with me with more clearance but only 2mm of hub? Or take the chance with with 15mm hub-centric spacers and possibility of hitting the fender under braking?

Just one last thing, I promise...will the car handle poorly if I do not put the same size spacers on the rear?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully my exereince will help others out.

TMO Supporting Vendors