The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Annoying TPMS warning light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got a new set of track wheels and instead of using expensive Ford TPMS senders I'm using the same $110 TPMS system that works great in my WRX daily driver. Gives me real time pressures and temps on all 4 tires. However, this system only works with the supplied display unit. It does not "talk" to factory TPMS system. That means I now have that annoying yellow TPMS warning light. I assume there is no way to disable that. I'm thinking a strategically placed piece of black tape my be the only fix.

Black tape works. I used it for the first few events last year. Since adding the roll bar and race seat, and due to the fact that I always run with the AdvanceTrac off, I decided it was less annoying to just fill out the entire lower portion of the screen with yellow lights. You can't always count on the CEL, but it's pretty regular too ;D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ChuckP said:
I just got a new set of track wheels and instead of using expensive Ford TPMS senders I'm using the same $110 TPMS system that works great in my WRX daily driver. Gives me real time pressures and temps on all 4 tires. However, this system only works with the supplied display unit. It does not "talk" to factory TPMS system. That means I now have that annoying yellow TPMS warning light. I assume there is no way to disable that. I'm thinking a strategically placed piece of black tape my be the only fix.

Do you still have the stock wheels? I'd try taking the TPMS sensors off and keeping them in the glove compartment. Sounds funky but my assumption is it would work once you reset the system on 1 ATM pressure.

PeteInCT said:
ChuckP said:

Do you still have the stock wheels? I'd try taking the TPMS sensors off and keeping them in the glove compartment. Sounds funky but my assumption is it would work once you reset the system on 1 ATM pressure.
If they're like the previous system, unfortunately that won't work. Some guys tried using a piece of PVC sealed up with the TMPS sensors and a valve stem and stuck it in the trunk but it didn't work with Ford's system. I'm not sure if they're interial requiring them to be rotating, or if they use some other system that doesn't allow you to "fool" it.

Just be glad we don't have the system in the Vettes. We were at RA and one of the guys had to get off the track because he didn't have TPMS sensors in his track wheels. The Chevy system won't allow you to disable traction control, let alone AdvanceTrac if you have a TPMS fault. The car becomes undrivable under track conditions. One of my buddies that can fix anything came up with a workaround that got him through the event. They stacked his street wheels in front of the car and went through the training process on them before each session. Since it usually takes a while for the car to throw the TPMS error, he was able to get through the session that way. He ordered TPMS sensors for his track wheels when he got home.

PeteInCT said:

I thought the Ford system did not let you reset it at different pressures? Some cars do allow it, like BMWs, but those seem to mostly be the ones based on rotations rather than actual pressure which I believe is what Ford uses.

Ah...I have the fix!!! I'll build a canister that has 4 stock TPMS sensors attached. Then I'll pressurize the canister to 30 PSI. I'll keep the pressurized canister in the car.

Then again, a little piece of black tape may also work. :))

I saw a post on another forum about a TPMS cloning machine, they sell TPMS senders that can be programed to mimic the codes on the stock ones. I don't recall off hand the name, but I could look for it. I didn't see a price either.

In theory the car will not know that it is a different TPMS sender so you just swap wheels and no light. Probably a bit pricey but for people who are OC it might be worth doing.

CaliMR said:
I saw a post on another forum about a TPMS cloning machine, they sell TPMS senders that can be programed to mimic the codes on the stock ones. I don't recall off hand the name, but I could look for it. I didn't see a price either.

In theory the car will not know that it is a different TPMS sender so you just swap wheels and no light. Probably a bit pricey but for people who are OC it might be worth doing.
Interesting, I'll check into it. This past weekend at Summit Point I pretty much did not notice the TPMS light along with the traction control off light as I was too busy passing Porsches! I did use my $110 Orange TPMS with my new track wheels and it worked great showing PSI and temps on all 4 tires.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
ChuckP said:
Ah...I have the fix!!! I'll build a canister that has 4 stock TPMS sensors attached. Then I'll pressurize the canister to 30 PSI. I'll keep the pressurized canister in the car.

Then again, a little piece of black tape may also work. :))

i don't think that will work. i believe they hold a only a small charge, which needs the rotational kinetic energy to keep them charged up. if they sat in a pressurized tube, they would still trip the TPMS warning within a few minutes due to power loss.

maybe my next invention will have to be a pressurized tube that can deliver kinentic energy to the sensors!

ChuckP said:
CaliMR said:

Interesting, I'll check into it. This past weekend at Summit Point I pretty much did not notice the TPMS light along with the traction control off light as I was too busy passing Porsches! I did use my $110 Orange TPMS with my new track wheels and it worked great showing PSI and temps on all 4 tires.

http://www.alligator-sensit.com/

That is the thing, I haven't really looked into it yet. I heard the Ford tpms resync tool is like $50, if you have the sensors in the wheels then might just be easier to get the tool and relearn when you switch them if it bothers you.

CaliMR said:
That is the thing, I haven't really looked into it yet. I heard the Ford tpms resync tool is like $50, if you have the sensors in the wheels then might just be easier to get the tool and relearn when you switch them if it bothers you.
That was the old system. The ones on our cars are plug and play.

TMO Supporting Vendors