The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another 2013 Cobra Jet Intake Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently took the plunge and purchased the following:

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Manifold M-9424-M50CJ
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Throttle body M-9926-CJ65 (dual blade)
Ford Racing Cobra Jet CAI M-9603-M50CJ

I delivered the car to the tuners with a stock tune and a set of ARH 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers with Cats and the Boss Side Pipe configuration.

The initial baseline run in blue was the stock tune with the ARH headers and a stock exhaust system all the way back with side pipe disks removed.
The second run in red was with the Intake, TB, and CAI installed and tuned.
The third run in green was with the Intake, TB, CAI, and a set of RTR axle backs installed.

I was very pleased overall with the numbers considering I chose to remain with CATS. I was amazed at the difference a nice set of axle backs affects the overall output numbers. Thank you Ric (vista6019) for the nice RTR's!

The dyno results give a very nice progression of what you can expect with different types of upgrades for those of you that are interested.

I went back and forth with the shop about installing a set of the CJ Intake and Exhaust cams. Overall impressions were they were not worth the time and money. I still remember my conversation with Mark Wilson on these. He said the best bang for the buck would be to just install the exhaust cams. I chose not to install any cams.

I deviated from some of the standard tuners and took the car to RoushYates Performance down in Mooresville NC. Very nice folks and very knowledgeable all around on these motors. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

CJ%20Dyno%20Data_Page%201_Crop_zpswgbfyo1i.jpg

Hopefully it will warm up enough in the next month, so that I can go out on the track and see what it can do.

That's impressive. You should be able to feel that bump in HP.

Got a chance to drive the car today. WOW! All I can say is I think Ford left a lot on the table when the tuned the cars for the street. The engine revs so much quicker now. Throttle is very smooth and controllable. I use to be able to smash the throttle in second gear, but after the tires let loose at 55mph (Tremec tranny installed so about equal to MT-82 third gear), I think I'm going to have to be a little more patient. I need to perform a driver relearn! Temperature was around 50, so still a little chilly to let it all out.

Come on March!

That's fantastic, Bill! That's about the exact route I plan to take, 'cept I may do LTs/no cats. Can't wait to hear about your impressions on the track!

I kind of felt like an idiot asking what experience they had on these motors, since I didn't know of anyone who has used them for tuning. Turned out they are the ones that build/seal up all the boss 302R motors and help Ford develop the motors for the program. Who knew?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
wwilde001 said:
I kind of felt like an idiot asking what experience they had on these motors, since I didn't know of anyone who has used them for tuning. Turned out they are the ones that build/seal up all the boss 302R motors and help Ford develop the motors for the program. Who knew?

I don't think most people actually have access to their services, but I could be wrong about that. They should know everything there is to know about Ford engines.

Do they utilize SCT or do they utilize Routunda (Ford service) the tools? I wonder if Roush/Yates are allowed to utilize un-released calibrations developed by Ford Racing.....

The shop in Moorseville is their performance products shop and has free reign on what they do as far a tuning. I met their Installation/Chassis Dyno Manager, Jeff Paxton in Charlotte during the 50th Mustang Anniversary. I worked through Karl Altomare when setting up the work order and appointment. The shop is open to the general public.

FYI, The "Roush" branded cars that are distributed to dealers have a stricter standard imposed on them. These cars still have to meet the Ford reliability standards for Ford vehicles. As far as having access to Ford tunes or unreleased tunes, not sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tunes that Ford Racing uses were in part developed by RoushYates.

For the tune, I brought them an SCT X/4 tuner. They used it to store the OEM tune and to transfer the new tune from their computer to the car. They did not use (to my knowledge) the Ford programing tool.

TMO Supporting Vendors