The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another brake thread? Oh hell yes (S197 to 2019?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Separate thread forthcoming about my AutoX weekend (especially if I can find any pictures), but.....

I smoked the brakes a couple weeks ago at Pueblo Motorsport. Every session I could feel them giving way near the end and they had visible smoke by the last couple of sessions.... So, I now have some ducts that I will be installing this winter. I noticed today at AutoX that they were more noisy than normal, a lot of dragging hissing sound. I don't think they were bad, but didn't feel up to it today, a bit mushy by the hot half of the day. And I have been looking at what upgrade options there are, I found a lot of older threads.

However, I stumbled into a FB post for a full set of "Brembos from a 2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack" for $200. Brembos, calipers, assorted mounting hardware, etc. Most of the threads have older swap packages, does anyone know if 1) 2019 GT Brembos would bolt up to an 2008? 2) If that would actually be an upgrade?

I have already replaced the fluid, have Hawk HP? pads, braided lines. With stock calipers and rotors. So far, I don't go "Holy cow, this thing stops so hard I can't feel my face!" so have started to look for upgrade options.

Just looking for options on additional projects to do over the winter. I fell in love with the car again today and really like the balance between full track day car and competent punch above my weight in AutoX.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I smoked the brakes a couple weeks ago at Pueblo Motorsport. Every session I could feel them giving way near the end and they had visible smoke by the last couple of sessions....

I have already replaced the fluid, have Hawk HP? pads
Hawk pads carrying any 'HP*' designation are not really intended for track duty. HPS and HPS 5.0 are performance street (emphasis on street here, but either should be OK for autocross with the 5.0 having slightly stronger bite), and while the HP+ may be adequate for track duty for the rear brakes only (perhaps paired with DTC-60 or DTC-70 compounds up front) they aren't serious enough for front brake use on the track. Note that the HP+ friction curve stops at ~750° - 800°.

HP+ might be good all around for autocross or possibly paired with HPS 5.0 rear pads if you can deal with bite that's considerably stronger than typical OEM or either of the HPS compounds.

Brake Pad Friction curves - Hawk including HPS.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You can use the S550 brembos on a S197, But you need the 2013/2014 GT500 15" discs. Lots of info in the brake section with all the pros a cons. Found it to be a great upgrade.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
You can use the S550 brembos on a S197, But you need the 2013/2014 GT500 15" discs. Lots of info in the brake section with all the pros a cons. Found it to be a great upgrade.

Yeah, there are a number of combos listed in various threads. What I don't know is if specifically the 2019 GT Brembos fit. I can get the entire 2019 set up for $200, if they fit...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
If you look at the 6 piston Brembo upgrade kits for S550 (M-2300-V), it says it works for 2015-2021. From this you can be pretty sure it'll fit on your car because the brakes are similar enough for one kit to cover all 6 years. If you are buying used calipers, you'll probably want to look at rebuilding them too.

The thing to watch is going to be your wheels- it looks like you have the factory 17s and those definitely do not fit with larger discs and Brembos. Also, like Mad Hatter said, you'll not be able to use the rotors but the other threads have part numbers.

TMO Supporting Vendors