The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another CAI question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This has probably been asked a 100 times already..... But...I saw today the PMAS 120mm CAI for the Coyote, thats a full 13mm more then the typical 107mm Airaid etc. With the corresponding tune, would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Or are we already limited with the Boss Manifold?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No experience personally; have seen PMAS on the market, however. IMO you would be limited by the stock throttle body--could go to GT350 TB with an adapter plate or aftermarket TB, but you may be pioneering the combination.

If within your reach (budget and rules/regulations), I recommend a full Cobra Jet intake setup.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was hoping someone would pioneer the GT350 manifold and TB, but so far I have not heard anything concrete as far as the tune goes. Mean, while waiting for the Cobrajet price to come down, was tempted in picking up a used 84.5mm accufab and seeing if this 120mm CAi could do the trick. But from what I understood from Lund Racing, the Boss manifold is the restriction and getting a bigger TB on it does not make much difference. Any thoughts??

I have the Kooks LTH's and a Catted xpipe, am a little worried about improving the exhaust as our Db limit is 97. Was looking at the BBK varitune muffler as a way of "cheating" on sound.

You might want to contact Shaun at AED and ask him. He's tuned GT350's and I'd be surprised if he hasn't tuned a 5.0 with a GT350 intake. You'll have to search but Ford Performance did a video where they drag raced a 2015 5.0 and it had the GT350 intake. It's the car they used to test the GT350 intake kit they sell. That intake is supposed to have more torque and be able to sustain power much higher in the rev range. But as @ArizonaBOSS stated and many TMO members can attest to the CJ intake with the large TB work extremely well on the Boss motor. I believe @steveespo installed a GT350 intake on his 2015 GT.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
GT350 manifold is not the best option for a Boss engine/ECU since it has the Charge motion plates and the throttle body is much more difficult (If not impossible with Copperhead ECU) than a Cobra Jet/Monoblade setup. My '16 GT with GT350 tuned by JDM Performance in NJ makes 455 HP@7200, CaptDistraction's Aluminator with Boss heads, cams and CJ setup made just about the same with an AED tune. My 2011 GT engine with GT cams, CJ setup make 443 HP @ 6900. Best route would be CJ in my opinion.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks guys, Looks like the best bet is to save pennies for the CJ manifold and a GT500 TB. I found this article with some manifold tests.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...hootout--gt--gt350--boss-302--and-cobra-.html

I only have the tune and Kooks LTH/catted xpipe so I have 403hp at 6500rpm but my peak torque is 382 at 3570rpm.. Will be one of the lowest powered cars in my class as we now have basically no HP limit. So anything goes as long as you can afford it :(..... or the car does not weigh less then 20% OEM weight. My ZL1 competition is switching to 335/30-18 R7's fore and aft. Looking for any extras I can....

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Save some more pennies and put CJ cams on the cars too, you will be right at 500 WHP N/A.
Ya gotta like that. How hard is it too install the cams?? I have not found a shop I trust down here. Have semi mechanic skills that might be a bit rusty... But work ok with a manual infront of me. Is it do-able for some who can hold a wrench and read??

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
If you are going to do cams it is not that difficult but needs to be done in a clean environment and with patience. I highly suggest taking the motor out of the car. You have to pull the A/C, water pump, balancer, front cover, coils and cam covers to get to everything. Very easy if the engine is on a stand. Once you have it positioned all it take is following directions and using some good quality torque and angle turn wrenches. With cams, a billet oil pump and billet crank gear are highly advised as well as fresh valve springs. It's expensive but speed always is.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks... would like to do all of those suggestions. Little by little am getting the tools together. Now I understand the high my wife gets when she goes shopping.......

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

I know that this is a bit late, but the PMAS is currently the best intake available on the market in terms of power, but it does look a bit like poo.

I agree with Steve, the Cobra Jet is still the best option for the 11-14 cars as the GT350 Intake/TB combo has not been tested and won't be tested until the necessary parameters for the TB are released. There have been a few GT350 intakes installed on the 11-14 cars and they have picked up more power then the Boss intake IIRC, but not as much as the Cobra Jet. Also, you would need E85 to get close to 500 with the CJ cams. I think the best I have seen with the CJ cams is in the 470-480 range on E85 with the Comp Stage 3 cams coming in with a bit more power and closer to that 500 mark. I think somewhere in my build thread I outlined the steps needed to drop cams in and time them without degreeing them. Degreeing the cams is a whole other story that was above my pay grade haha.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
LOL, yes it does look a bit odd. I managed to get a AIRAID CAI from TMO member Yopauly, for decent pirce. I am saving the pennies for the Apex 18x11 wheels and 315 R7's. In the mean I will get the car tuned by AED with the Ariaid CAI and hopefully a Accufab 84.5mm tb. If I can find a used TB for sale.

The whole CJ setup will have to a little longer, since the engine will be out, its a good time to change the oil pump etc but all of that takes $$$

I am trying to come in a 3300Lbs and 425Hp at the wheels.

Hmmm I may know a guy who is selling one since he went with the CJ setup. Give me a few days and I will get back with you. I hear you on the wheels and tires though, I am doing the same haha.

Sean

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well I managed to get a hold of a used Accufab 84.5mm and a Boss Airaid CAI for a great price (Thanks truckstuff55 and yopauly). Budget was restrict so it was the best I could do but it was far far cheaper then just part of the Cobrejet setup. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive and get a AED track tune... Praying for 420rwhp

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel